1936 Packard

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i like the flow of the back section ... not that any of us should be concerned you have an eye for proportions

Got a couple more pieces of the puzzle tacked in. I marked the quarters, removed the fenders to weld in the corner pieces and trimmed off the extra strip along the fender line. One more big piece per side should finish off the new slant back look.

Attachments

• DSC01764.jpg
    DSC01764.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 165
  • DSC01763.jpg
    DSC01763.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 167
  • DSC01765.jpg
    DSC01765.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 164
I'm very interested in seeing the corner panels and how you work that in, something that looks very difficult that I'm sure you will make look really easy!

Got both of the quarter panel pieces made and tacked in today. Now for a better look at the humpless rear end, a real improvement I think, like cutting off a wart :D.
I'll make the trunk lid and doors after all these tacked together seams are fully welded and hammered/ground out since things can tend to move around some...

Attachments

• DSC01766.jpg
    DSC01766.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 195
  • DSC01773.jpg
    DSC01773.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 191
  • DSC01769.jpg
    DSC01769.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 191
  • DSC01770.jpg
    DSC01770.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 204
  • DSC01772.jpg
    DSC01772.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 175
Some before and after - before surgery and post-op...

Attachments

• may 4 2013 36 packard 003.jpg
    may 4 2013 36 packard 003.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 135
  • may 4 2013 36 packard 009.jpg
    may 4 2013 36 packard 009.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 141
  • DSC01767.jpg
    DSC01767.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 144
  • DSC01773.jpg
    DSC01773.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 126
Gall darned, no fair! You could put detroit out of business, AND cause all us poor laymen to give up tinkering with old cars! Uhhhhh, how I wish I had your vision and enthusiasim AND skills! perleyu

Looks fantastic![cl[dr Please don't this this as criticism, just as a question, do you plan to round the trunk lid corners?

At this point I'm keeping the corners square. Once the lid is made I can better assess the appearance - it will probably get painted black so it may just blend in...

Wow... that looks so much better... How did you get the curve in there so well? English wheel or by hand?

Rolled the corner pieces over a welding cylinder and over my knee followed by some grunting, twisting and mallet whacking - not necessarily in that order.. :rolleyes:

Re-worked all the interior bracing and squared it up some more, moved the mid and rear body mounts to the new crossmembers and cut out what was left of the original floor. Now for a couple days of finishing up welding all the body seams and grinding them out. Filling the top will get done after the body gets mounted on the frame - for now it makes it easier to work inside the body with it open.

Attachments

• DSC01776.jpg
    DSC01776.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 115
  • DSC01777.jpg
    DSC01777.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 107
  • DSC01775.jpg
    DSC01775.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 109
  • DSC01774.jpg
    DSC01774.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 114
Re-worked all the interior bracing and squared it up some more, moved the mid and rear body mounts to the new crossmembers and cut out what was left of the original floor. Now for a couple days of finishing up welding all the body seams and grinding them out. Filling the top will get done after the body gets mounted on the frame - for now it makes it easier to work inside the body with it open.

I'm anxious to see how that trunk area looks when you're finished. I have to say I'm not sold on the square corners, but with your vision I'm sure that however you do it will look awesome in the end.

What roof skin do you plan to use to fill the roof in? That's a substantial space to fill.

It's amazing you can make some of those panels with just bending over various garage objects and body parts [cl. Some of them sure look like they were done with a wheel. Your work is proof you don't need all the specialized equipment and a fully stocked fab shop to get expert results.

The humpback cars don't look right when chopped, definitely, this car looks awesome now that it's chopped and made into a two-door. I think it's really cool you're keeping the original wheelbase even though you're shortening the body, that will be a very interesting part of the build to see you making up that 5" change in the front sheet metal!

I'm anxious to see how that trunk area looks when you're finished. I have to say I'm not sold on the square corners, but with your vision I'm sure that however you do it will look awesome in the end.

What roof skin do you plan to use to fill the roof in? That's a substantial space to fill.

It's amazing you can make some of those panels with just bending over various garage objects and body parts [cl. Some of them sure look like they were done with a wheel. Your work is proof you don't need all the specialized equipment and a fully stocked fab shop to get expert results.

The humpback cars don't look right when chopped, definitely, this car looks awesome now that it's chopped and made into a two-door. I think it's really cool you're keeping the original wheelbase even though you're shortening the body, that will be a very interesting part of the build to see you making up that 5" change in the front sheet metal!

Thanks for your support and from all the others too. Hey, things can always change with regard to the trunk corners - I'm considering rounding just the top corners [S - nothing is cast in stone...
For the roof skin I'm going to go to Pick n Pull when I get time to scalp another 90's Lincoln Town Car like I did for the 34 Caddy - it's just about the largest smooth roofed car I've found in 'late model' boneyards. The shape works nicely and I don't feel bad as if I'd taken a scalp from some older car. (I don't like the ribbed van roofs :p)

Thanks for your support and from all the others too. Hey, things can always change with regard to the trunk corners - I'm considering rounding just the top corners [S - nothing is cast in stone...
For the roof skin I'm going to go to Pick n Pull when I get time to scalp another 90's Lincoln Town Car like I did for the 34 Caddy - it's just about the largest smooth roofed car I've found in 'late model' boneyards. The shape works nicely and I don't feel bad as if I'd taken a scalp from some older car. (I don't like the ribbed van roofs :p)

I drive or rather drove a 94 Lincoln Town car everyday, until the rod started knocking but that'll get fixed when the weather gets warm again, they definetily have a huge smooth roof lol. I'm liking where you're heading with this but, I think it'd look better with the top trunk corners radiused (spelling?). But its your car and from what I have seen you absolutely know what you're doing.

Latest posts

Back