To blast or not to blast; seat springs

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rust-a-must

I have read most of the post on this subject and there are some good post and very good results on seat covers. What I need help on is this. My seat spring a preaty rusty but solid and looks like nothing is missing. Has any one stripped the set to the springs and frame, blasted it and primed for paint? If so I need some advice. Thanks!

I used electrolysis on mine to get what I could and then used a rust converter on the rest. Come to think of it, the electrolysis might have weakened the metal... hmmmm...

I used electrolysis on mine to get what I could and then used a rust converter on the rest. Come to think of it, the electrolysis might have weakened the metal... hmmmm...

yeah
the electolysis is cheap,easy and works great
i have used it on the inside of old gun barrels to get them spotless.

perma ease

Since the springs get weak after years.....after your clean up you want a product called perma eze. it is bird cage type stuff sold my length. Not high priced...maybe $9 yrd in 23 inch width. After the perma eze...then burlap.. then your foam or cotton cushion. Nat'l Fabric in Kansas city has it and they ship everywhere. Any upholstery supply will carry the product.

Latest posts

Back