Sealing windows

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

53 stickfigure

I'm trying to quiet down my interior rattles. I dont have any actual interior, everything is metal down to my cup holder made of 3 1/2 steel pipe. I took care of my door glass rattles by just taking the glass and regulators out. My quarter windows have no felt around the jams, so you can imagine how loud they are. I dont want to take them out, instead i want to seal them up on the outside with some sort of caulking. I was going to replace the glass with plexiglass and screw them in but why spend the extra money on something i really don't need. I need something black and that will really adhere to glass and hold up to the hot sun. I can use an exacto knife to clean the edges. I have no plans on ever rolling them down. It will have to go thick due to the large gap. I was thinking something like the red hi-temp gasket sealer, but in black, but it would take a million tubes of that stuff at $4 a tube. I know there is something out there that will work and look half way decent without cracking and peeling. I saw some stuff in a roll at autozone today that seals a windshield but i dont know if it hardens or stays sticky? Im almost tempted to fiberglass them in but im pretty sure the fiberglass will break apart from the glass.

Attachments

• 20170528_165839.jpg
    20170528_165839.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 20160909_174742.jpg
    20160909_174742.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 21
The stuff you saw in the roll that looks like tape is most likely Butyl tape that is used to set windshield.
I would consider filling the gap with something like black rubber vacuum hose. You may be able to get away with just stuffing it in there and leaving it. If not, then get some black silicone sealer in a regular size caulk tube and cover over it.
With some smoothing and exacto knife work it should look fine.
Kind of like the way we used to replace window panes with putty. Way back when.......:D
Torchie

The glass guys use a black sealer to install windshields. When I had the glass put in my truck I saw what they used & bought some myself at O'Reilly's... it works great. I think it was 3M!

BoB

Id thought of stuffing the window frames first then sealing it. Thanks for the picture of the stuff. Money is too tight right now for experiments that might have to be redone.

Latest posts

Back