I'm Gonna Build A Dragster!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OI, not getting that scientific, although I probably should. I have noticed that some of the serious 6 cylinder racers are running a 6 into 1 header using an expensive merge collector.

OI, not getting that scientific, although I probably should. I have noticed that some of the serious 6 cylinder racers are running a 6 into 1 header using an expensive merge collector.

What is will do is the engine will create more torque with them.

Bob W - Headers are looking real sharp. I would take all the weight off the motor/trans/ front & rearend/ frame that I could, Weight reduction from "Dave" might be a bit harder. :rolleyes:
old Dave is working on it. In fact I’ll probably order the diet plate at lunch with Bob and Jerry tomorrow.

Good for you Dave, keep trying to loss a few lbs. [cl

I gained 4 tenths on my 7.50 NE-1 dragster by having my wife in the seat as she weighed way less than me. She made the quickest & fastest pass at 6.99@198.

Six pipes all welded in place. I learned a bit & the second three look better. Collectors next then clean up with the die grinder and sanding rolls.

Attachments

• IMG_3180.jpg
    IMG_3180.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 41
Well Bob the headers look real nice. How long are the collectors?

The headers should be worth 2-3 10ths over the zooms. I got 2 ths when I did mine and it was only a 194" inline 6.[cl

Ya Bob, headers can make 2-5 10th improvement to ET and the base theory on weight is 1 tenth better ET for every 100# removed from the race car.

18" collectors sounds real good, I had 15" on my SDRA dragster, but 100" smaller motor. Keep working on that weight reduction. You may have told me already but how much weight do you think you will be able to remove from the dragster? What will the dragster weigh complete with driver & fuel?

I'll be a bit disappointed if we don't dip into the 10's. Suicidal, even.:eek:

Previously the radiator laid flat under the nose piece. Got another radiator and will run it standing up. Hopefully better cooling. The flat radiator placement meant the gas tank had to be over the front axle, like a big aluminum tumor. Now, it will be tucked under the nose.

Attachments

• IMG_3182.jpg
    IMG_3182.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 36
Bob, That radiator should cool much better. You might think about a angle panel from the bottom of the top tank to the nose panel to help air flow. Every little bit helps, just an idea.[S

Headers look real good and should get a little better ET. "10.99" [cl

Then you can quit unless you want to run "10.50" ;)

Driver Dave says he is working on a bit of weight loss to help those ET's, keep an eye on him at your weekly lunch meeting.:D

The header is done. Just added the collector extensions. 18" now.

Attachments

• IMG_3185.jpg
    IMG_3185.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3184.jpg
    IMG_3184.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 40
Made a new motor mount to replace the bent one. Too much torque or insufficient strength in the original. haha Trimmed all the extraneous brackets off the frame. Relocated the gas tank (mostly) under the modified nose piece. Radiator mounted in the upright position and hoses figured out.

Ready to disassemble to the bare frame and clean and paint.

Attachments

• IMG_3189.jpg
    IMG_3189.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back