Refreshing The Mastr

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

35Mastr

Mastr Blastr
Well I have been away for some time working on rebuilding the front end of the old stove bolt.This is what I had to start with.It was a car that was built over 15 years ago from all junk yard parts.The car belonged to my neighbor when I lived in Mass.He was a pinstriper and a truck sign painter.This was a car that he had built.He would take me out from time to time.This car has been to York Pa.Kentucky,Lake George in NY,The Turkey Run In Fl.Well long story short.I moved back to Ca.In September 1999 and started a new life here with my wife.In early 2000 I received a call from my mom telling me that Jim had passed.He was in his early 50's.Before I left I always messed with him and told him to will me the car.He would just give some S##t.He always told me that he only had a daughter and she was really cute and had no interest in the car.Well after Jim passed I called his wife about 3 months later just to chat.She was still in shambles and I was concerned about the car.After talking awhile I mentioned the car.She then told me that she was going to have the seat redone and would drive the car in Jims memory to the local shows.The seat was set up for a guy that was 6'4" and Janice was about 5'.Well sorry to say it never happened.I left it alone for 7 years then gave here a ring.I called here one day just to chat mentioned the car.Asked if she still had it she told me yes.Then was the magic question."Is it for sale"She said yes.She had told me that she had taken the car to a couple of shows over that period of time and had had many offers on the car and just never sold it.In the end she told me that Jim just must have wanted you to have this car.She was offered much more for the car than what I paid her for it.Thsi is when I started to pull the front end off.

Attachments

• 35 Chev Pics 001.jpg
    35 Chev Pics 001.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 35 Chev Pics 002.jpg
    35 Chev Pics 002.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 35 Chev Pics 003.jpg
    35 Chev Pics 003.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Then after pulling the engine and trans I had the messy firewall to deal with.I stripped it all down and started to weld it up.Made a custom steering colum clamp with some tubeing and welded and molded it in with the grinder and some elbow grease

More pics

Attachments

• 35 Chev Pics 009.jpg
    35 Chev Pics 009.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 35 Chev Pics 012.jpg
    35 Chev Pics 012.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 35 Chev Pics 025.jpg
    35 Chev Pics 025.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 28
Here it is in the metal work finish

Attachments

• 35 Chev Pics 037.jpg
    35 Chev Pics 037.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 17
  • 35 Chev Pics 038.jpg
    35 Chev Pics 038.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 35 Chev Pics 039.jpg
    35 Chev Pics 039.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 35 Chev Pics 040.jpg
    35 Chev Pics 040.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 12
  • 35 Chev Pics 041.jpg
    35 Chev Pics 041.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 24
Here is the last one for now.I started this all on 6/29/07 and this is where I am today.ready for a skim coat,Primer and and a little paint.

Attachments

• 35 Chev Pics 042.jpg
    35 Chev Pics 042.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Looks great George. That cleaned up firewall makes a huge difference. I noticed in one of the pics that it looks like you already have the front part of the chassis cleaned up and painted too. Nice work.

I forgot to take the pics of the chassis after it was painted and completly rebult.everything is brand new from all the bushings upper and lower to all the tie rods ,sleeves idler arm,steering box,upper and lower ball joints etc.Its all new.what graet about it now is the front suspension is all tight.No play what so ever.

Looks really good!!!

Mastr,
That is looking really good & all that elbow grease is really paying off!!! Thanks for posting! I know that is a real relief to have the whole front end all new & makes driving a pleasure as well!!!

BoB

I finally got her in primer.Color is most likely comimg tomorrow afternoon.Also there is a pic of the front end completly rebuilt.

Attachments

• 35 Chev Pics 043.jpg
    35 Chev Pics 043.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 35 Chev Pics 044.jpg
    35 Chev Pics 044.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 30
Here she is all painted.Its black with some cool pearl.

Attachments

• 35 Chev Pics 045.jpg
    35 Chev Pics 045.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 35 Chev Pics 046.jpg
    35 Chev Pics 046.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 22
Saturday night I got an itch to set the motor and trans.I was out there till 2:30 Sunday morning.Monday I got it all bolted in.I started to make and run all new stainless lines for power steering and mounted the power steering resivoir.Its all going to be with AN fittings.Its really been alot of hard work making up these lines.Its the firdt time I have ever done these type.I have made and run Lokar throttle and kickdown cables.

Attachments

• 35 Chev Pics 047.jpg
    35 Chev Pics 047.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 13
  • 35 Chev Pics 048.jpg
    35 Chev Pics 048.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 35 Chev Pics 050.jpg
    35 Chev Pics 050.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 14
Its actually a Billet Specalties Tru Trac System.All serpintine and its woth all the money for a tight space.Even going to have some creature comfort.A/C and real good power steering.

Lookin' really good!!!

Mastr,
All u're hard work is really comin' together & *really* lookin' good! Won't b long now!!!

BoB

Looks good 35. Very nice. I haven't used the Tru-Trac system yet but I've used the Front Runner system from Vintage Air. It's nice too. Not that you need it now, but you can get a special clamp that goes in a vice to hold those AN fittings while you insert and tighten the hose and nipple. It makes the operation slightly easier.

Latest posts

Back