Beach Racing Florida Style.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grumpygator

Back before Bill France built track in Daytona they used to race on the sand from Daytona Beach north to Ormand Beach and back down A1A.
Here is a picture of the course looking south from the Ormand Beach end.And a few from the south turn.
Soon as I figure out how to post full size pictures I'll post some more.
*****Thanks for Looking***********Gator****************

Attachments

• 1955 beach racing (Small).jpg
    1955 beach racing (Small).jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 42
  • beach racing Opps (Small).jpg
    beach racing Opps (Small).jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 37
  • north turn (Small).jpg
    north turn (Small).jpg
    61 KB · Views: 36

Attachments

• beach racing 50's.jpg
    beach racing 50's.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 30
  • beach racing 1948.jpg
    beach racing 1948.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 27
  • cheesecake.jpg
    cheesecake.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 34
  • th.jpg
    th.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 25
Gator, I use photobucket. There is probably a way to do it thru the board but somebody else will have to explain it...

Thanks guys, those are to cool.
Looks like only one turn but it was a dussie:eek:

Actually, it was a long loop track. The pictures are of the north end turn in the Ormond Beach area. They described the turns as 1/2 mile turns. A couple of gator's pix show the north turn where cars would lose it and go over the banks. The track was described as a 4.1 miles long. They started and finished the race on the sand. There is a strip of A1A running parallel to the beach that was used for the paved part and in some days, the race was shortened in laps when the north turn would collapse enough where cars couldn't make it around. I'm trying to find a pic of it but I always thought the tales were funny about charging for the outside event. They had signs posted in the dunes and palmetto flats that said: "Beware of Rattlesnakes" to keep non-paying fans out...
Knowing the old swamp rats down here, I bet some of them had a guide service through the areas for a little pocket change...:D

This is really interesting. Looks like lots of the starters were not finishers.:eek:

Yuppers, if ya went over the bank on that turn, they left ya there until the race was over and if ya stalled there, it was probably pushed over to clear the way...

Latest posts

Back