Facebook flakes!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamamav

Most of you remember the wild goose chase we went on a few years ago to Winchester TN to trade for a car we had found on Craigslist, how bad the car was when we got there and how the guy had lied about it. Well, Facebook marketplace is starting to get some of the same flakes. I found a supposed rebuilt AOD trans on Marketplace for $600, looked good in the pic, messaged the guy on Wed, he answered back, we set up today for me to call him and get directions, he is over in Columbus MS, about 65 miles away. He sent me a phone number this morning, and a time to call, and then, nothing, like he fell off the face of the earth. We started out from home about 3PM, stopped and tried to call about 3:45, no answer. Stopped again at the state line at 4:00, again, no answer, left a voice mail. Rode on into town with the idea of eating there, but they are still on tighter lockdown then AL, so it looked like takeout only, no thanks. Called him one last time at 4:30 PM, still no answer. We left and started back home, stopped in Fayette AL and eat at my favorite Mex place, then went and bough groceries. Got home and checked Facebook messages, nothing. Screw him. I'l just pay the $300 more and get mine rebuilt then I'll know for sure what I have. Screw Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist both. Both have been invaded by scammers, liars, and con artists.

hate that you made a burnt run, but while your in facebook go ahead and check my friend request to you.

hate that you made a burnt run, but while your in facebook go ahead and check my friend request to you.

Will do Odie! Edit: Didn't see it?

From Dr C's encyclopedia of lost terms and degenerates:

Courtesy - A big word used by honest people.

Yep, just like common sense, pretty much a lost idea....

Last edited:
For what it’s worth...
Regret hearing about your waste of time, Bama.
When I get things from FB market place before I even message someone about it I check them out on FB 🙀
I can usually get an idea if they are legit from their page.
I guess it’s kind of like cyber.stalking.😳
I went to look at a wooden boat once that was listed by a person( pre FB ) on CL
The women asked my full name when I called her . Which I thought was a bit odd.
When I got there turns out that she had googled me because she started to ask me questions about my Swing band.🙀
She was single and just trying to protect herself.
It’s a interesting world we now live in.
Torchie

For what it’s worth...
When I get things from FB market place before I even message someone about it I check them out on FB 🙀
I went to look at a wooden boat once that was listed by a person( pre FB ) on CL
When I got there turns out that she had googled me because she started to ask me questions about my Swing band.🙀
Torchie
Courtesy, Consideration, Manners, Integrity, Intelligence, Common sense, punctuality. All going the way of the Dodo. Sometimes I just want to slap some sense into these people but i found out that the harder I hit them the dumber they get.

Courtesy, Consideration, Manners, Integrity, Intelligence, Common sense, punctuality. All going the way of the Dodo. Sometimes I just want to slap some sense into these people but I found out that the harder I hit them the dumber they get.

My younger brother in a nutshell.

For what it’s worth...
Torchie

Recently saw some ratchet style chain binders on FB, advertised by a friend of a couple of guys I know real well - this guy was even a cousin of one of my friend's in-laws. It was during the lock-down, and a bit of a distance away. So I had my friend pay him when he dropped them off.
Three of them, and only one works, even after a week of soaking with penetrating oil. One has both screw hooks bent, so while it would work a bit, you cannot tighten it much at all. I though I had "vetted" him plenty, but not near enough. Another hard lesson learned, I guess. A good price that went bad in a hurry.

Well crap!

I was planning on taking my trans to the rebuilder this week, but the Freightliner had other ideas. Pulled into a truck wash yesterday to get some of the crap off, cut it off. Got ready to go, no start.:mad: Tried jumping the solenoid, nope, nada, dead starter. It's been clicking every once in a while, but had been fine for a good while now. Had to call a wrecker out, we hooked to his air supply and pulled it out and drag started it. $225 please. Drove across the road to a shop and had a new starter put on, $750 please. There went my transmission money!:mad::mad::mad:

Now today coming home, a brake valve decided to go bad, barely made it home, parking brakes dragging. Got to take that off in the morning and hope I can find one locally. Probably another $200 :rolleyes:

So, I guess project Lincoln will sit a while longer.:mad:

I was planning on taking my trans to the rebuilder this week, but the Freightliner had other ideas. Pulled into a truck wash yesterday to get some of the crap off, cut it off. Got ready to go, no start.:mad: Tried jumping the solenoid, nope, nada, dead starter. It's been clicking every once in a while, but had been fine for a good while now. Had to call a wrecker out, we hooked to his air supply and pulled it out and drag started it. $225 please. Drove across the road to a shop and had a new starter put on, $750 please. There went my transmission money!:mad::mad::mad:

Now today coming home, a brake valve decided to go bad, barely made it home, parking brakes dragging. Got to take that off in the morning and hope I can find one locally. Probably another $200 :rolleyes:

So, I guess project Lincoln will sit a while longer.:mad:

Bummer, Bama.:eek: :mad:
I swear these things know just when you have an extra buck to spend on your project.
At least mine seem to.....
Torchie

Turned out not so bad today, $80 for the brake valve. But lost $400 by not delivering today, so it still sux. Just part of being self employed.

I didn't mean for it to sound like I couldn't afford to get the trans reworked right now, I have the money, just don't want to spend it! Trying to build up a little more cushion in case freight falls off or I have another bad breakdown. I could spend it, but sure as I did, I'd need it for something else. The car can wait a little while longer, it's not like I have to have it right now anyway, no shows going on yet, and no extra time to just get out and ride around in it....

Latest posts

Back