Koool hit & miss motors!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripper

Older and more rusted every day!
A guy at the swap meet had a bunch of hit & miss motors & this one with a horse head exhaust was my fav... it was the motor for a Maytag washer & the exhaust came out the horses' nostrils! I really wanted it but it's probably the last thing I needed so it didn't go home with me!

Attachments

• horse.jpg
    horse.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 63
  • horse2.jpg
    horse2.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 54
I come close to being able to purchase one ,, it belonged to his wifes family and he didnt want it but she kinda figured she would just keep it around it is huge ,, I bet the flywheel is 4 or 5 foot tall .. he said it was locked up ,, but I sure would have loved to own it anyway ,, last I drove passed the place it was still there .. the cylinder was like a 5 gallon bucket ... love to hear the big ones run :D

I come close to being able to purchase one ,, it belonged to his wifes family and he didnt want it but she kinda figured she would just keep it around it is huge ,, I bet the flywheel is 4 or 5 foot tall .. he said it was locked up ,, but I sure would have loved to own it anyway ,, last I drove passed the place it was still there .. the cylinder was like a 5 gallon bucket ... love to hear the big ones run :D

YT,
He had a bigger one too, the flywheel was about 4 ft high & I have some video that I'll post tomorrow!

BoB

Those old engines are fascinating to say the least! They are pretty big around here with lots of them showing up at car shows, fairs and festivals. Some of my Dad's family had a big one when I was growing up. They used it to run a cider press and us kids used to shoot apples with it, the exhaust pipe would swivel and you'd stand it up and drop an apple down it between strokes and then lean it over and splatter the side of the barn. Good clean sweet smellin' fun! :D

Years ago one of my Uncles had one on a "go-cart". He used it to drive around his property. It had 2 fat drive belts on different pulleys for 2 speeds. I don't remember how exactly he had it set up, but there was a lever with idler pulleys that would tension one or the other belts. Seems to me the wheel was about 3ft. First time I had seen a hit&miss. Always thought it was cool.

I always like those and the big hit&miss. See them at swap meets but usually $200.00 + and thats a lot for something else to clutter up the shop.lol

If they were big down here in Alabama ,, I dont know where they went ... Ive only seen a few, and they were at the tractor show. They had the show for about 2 years in a row then it didnt come back .. The ones that were there was not from this area .. They do sound cool ... one of the small ones was hooked to an ice cream machine OOOOOO yea !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They had another hooked up to a big fan ... they said the small ones with the kick - start they had there, were off of washing machines ..

I can't make out the fuel system on those small ones! The last one I saw running was at a Pioneers Day festival. It was a larger one with 4-5' flywheel. It had a "drip" system going...

I saw one of the smaller ones running a ice cream maker, too. It was at some festival I went to, not sure which one now.

I'm with you on the "drip" system smallfoot. I've seen those running, and wonder just how that works myself.

Lots of them around here. The maytags you can buy for around $100 and up for a running one. A friend has a Maytag twin and it'll just make you grin to hear it run. I was out to the threshing bee at Sturgis a couple weeks back and they were all over the place, along with steam powered stuff. They have a big Corless stationary steam engine that runs all day. 12 foot flywheel and quiet as a whisper.

Here's a pic of my dad running his drag saw in the 1930's. Not a hit and miss engine but still cool... You can see the steam coming out of the water tank so it's been running for a while cutting that "little log", and the bucket of water to keep it topped up on the ground. We had it running in the 60's for a bit and this thing was loud!! My grandfather and him built a log barn in the 1920's with trees like this, only needing 4 logs to make high walls. This was his hi-tech equipment, rest was done with a 2 man buck saw, axes and horses to move and stack them. Kinda makes a person humble thinking about what people used to call a hard days work.....

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 16

Latest posts

Back