1936 International Uncle Walter's Truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

36Binder

First and Foremost, this is going to be a slow build. So if you get the popcorn and drinks out, you may have several servings of each between updates of me actually doing something.

So this truck was owned by my Great Uncle Walter. I bought it from my cousin in the spring of 2017. He had ended up with it after his dad passed.

Growing up this truck was down in the garden by my grandmas house. Us kids never really played in it because it was just sitting out under the trees. Several years ago I traded for a 1949 Chevy 1 ton Dually dumptruck 5 Window that was also owned by Great Uncle Walter from another of my cousins. The Chevy was always kept in the shop at my grandmas. Us kids played in that thing all the time even though we weren't really supposed to. The Chevy is another story for another day.

So this spring I was planning the 800 mile one way trip to bring the 36 home. Before I left I hadn't talked to my cousin in nearly 8 months, and I couldn't get ahold of his mom, my aunt. The truck was sitting on her property. I wasn't sure he had told his mom I had bought and paid for the truck and wasn't sure how the retrieval would go. I finally found another cousin's number and got through to her. She said "yea Mom knows you bought the truck, and all is good". That was a big relief.

So I made the trip up to eastern Montana. When I got there I met up with a buddy that still lives there and started loading up my "NEW" truck. I took tires that I knew held air so I wouldn't have to deal with trying to find tires there. After i got the truck loaded my Aunt came out and said "I got the title in the house". This was a shocker because my cousin didn't even know his mom had the title when he sold it to me. My day had just gotten a lot better.

So if you're still reading I'll do a couple pics from when I got it loaded.

album-72157672927105067

album-72157672927105067

These are my first pics on this website. I hope they work.

edit: the pics aren't showing for me, not sure why

Last edited:
So I think i figured out attaching pics from my phone.

A couple more pics from the day i got my truck

Attachments

• 20180416_112342.jpg
    20180416_112342.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 20180416_105428.jpg
    20180416_105428.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 20180416_112311.jpg
    20180416_112311.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 36
So when I got the title from my Aunt it was dated from 1946 and had the 1963 registration with it. I was pretty excited. Uncle Walter had notarized it in 1998. It was still open on the buyer.

The only thing I could really find missing on the truck was it had no radiator. It had gotten moved from the garden several years ago when she sold the property. It came with 2 artillery wheels and 2 original looking hubcaps.

Then I drove up past the old garage from my grandma's old house. The guy that bought that property Tom, was in the garage drinking beer. I stopped and introduced myself, but Tom knew the truck on my trailer since he had moved it when he bought the place. I asked if I could have a look through the old garage us kids had played in many times growing up. He had it cleaned out where you could actually see some floor. Even emptied out it was a trip down memory lane. We talked about the old stack of wood that was down in the lower side by where the 49 had always been. Tom said "yea it's outside, I've been using it for firewood." It was from old railroad box cars Uncle Walter had tore apart many years ago. I talked him out of a small pile of the boards. I wish I had grabbed more. Whenever I make it back there I will stop again with beer for Tom.

So I drove around grinning from ear to ear until time to leave Montana.

paperwork

nice[cl[P[P[P[P[P

here if you have the old title the state writes void on it and lets you keep it for a backstory/history of the vechicle, so if they do that in your'e state it helps add coolness to the truck, not that is not already cool.

Later :cool:

nice[cl[P[P[P[P[P

here if you have the old title the state writes void on it and lets you keep it for a backstory/history of the vechicle, so if they do that in your'e state it helps add coolness to the truck, not that is not already cool.

The rest of the story on the title is yet to come, when I have more time.

thanks for following along

nice[cl[P[P[P[P[P

Who are you paying to let you keep the old titles?!?!?! I have asked many a time and they always say no!!! I wanted to keep the original title for my 50[S

Very nice truck and great story to go with it!!!!

Here in Missouri the DMV will let you keep the old title when you register the vehicle.
Like skull said, they write VOID on the old title, along the edge with a marker.

those are probably my second favorite cabs. that one looks pretty solid, neat story to go with it too!

Good luck with the build!

Thanks for all the comments guys.

So when it came time to head home I left super early in the morning. My goal was to get home in time to go to the DMV and do the title the day it got to NV. So I got home by 3:30 in the afternoon and made photo copies of the title front and back. I headed to the inspection station at the DMV because it gas an out of state title. Then I kinda chuckled as the gals were looking for the VIN on the dash. I pointed out the tag on the passenger side low on the fender. Then my heart sank when they informed me the VIN didn't match the title.

Yea, in 1946 someone typoed a C into a G. The truck clearly has a VIN that starts with C1 and the title and 1963 registration said G1. I was about to go home and stamp the C into a G. Then come back another day and hope someone else was there. But instead I went inside the DMV and got in line. The super nice lady inside helped me out and after a lot of questions and showing them that C1 is the Model # and a chat with a supervisor Nevada was happy that I was not intending to do fraud. Just that it had been wrong since 1946 when Uncle Walter bought it and no one had needed to verify it since.
One of the questions was why hadn't I done anything with it since 1998 when the title was notarized. I kept it short and said "I haven't had the money to haul it down here, much less do anything with till now" I didn't tell them that my Uncle John had it then he passed and my Cousin Daniel is the one I bought it from. They also asked if Great Uncle Walter could fix the title in Montana. I told them he passed away 10 years ago.

So long story short Nevada issued me a title in my name with the correct VIN. They also said if I wanted the original back I could send it in with all the forms to fix the 72 year old typo. I said " no, you guys send it to Carson City so it doesn't get messed up more"

3 weeks later the title arrived in the mail

The plans for this truck when I brought it home were to get the engine unsiezed and hope to get it running. I pulled the plugs from the Flathead 6 Green Diamond. I dumped Marvel Mystery Oil and PB Blaster in it every couple days for a several weeks. Then I tried the breaker bar again and it spun slightly. I pulled it into the shop and did more PB Blaster and Mystery Oil. It would spin kinda smooth.

I had to pull the starter off and I was able to free it up and get it spinning with a 12 volt battery. So I checked the compression and was getting about 90 psi on all until I got to #5. 0 psi. #6 also had 0 psi. I started spraying Blaster into those 2 when I would think about it. After a lot of debates I finally tapped the top of the valves that wouldn't move with a brass punch. Just poked it in the spark plug hole. #5 went down and started working. #6 I had to give several taps and rotations until I got it moving. I got about 90 psi on those too also. Not much of this part is picture worthy.

Latest posts

Back