Another what would you do thread.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are right!

Dave, I hope you take this constructively! It's really alot easier if you can form a plan of what you really want first. I think everybody here has times when parts are out beyond the pocketbook. Those are times to do your planning for when that next part shows up. Form a plan and work in that direction rather than getting bogged down with one way and switching directions. This present issue may be simpler to fix by changing up the steering a little rather than re-inventing the mounts and then doing something different with the headers. You've got enough projects around to go in several directions and your mind is trying to do that. Just get focused, there's enough talent and know how around to help you do anything here! Don't get in a hurry. It's been said before, there is no real schedule here and if you are like most of us, you can't do squat good if you're in a hurry.

I hear ya footie, and have also heard it from others. Yes, I create my own illusions and confusions. (Don't we all?) Hot rod ADD, Skip? ;)

Anyway, I've tried to focus on just one project, then let an obstacle stop me. Not something that couldn't be overcome, but usually financially unavailable at the time. I think that aspect is the most frustrating. I could probably build a Miata in a week or so because that is what I was doing the last 8 years. This hotrod/ratrod stuff is all new!

I'm happy to have options for when one project stalls. Like you say, waiting on parts (or money for parts), I start looking at and working on a different one and am glad to have that opportunity! And so the focus moves. It beats going (more) bonkers...

I appreciate all comments, so no worries there. It helps me sort out the brain noise from the better ideas that wrestle in my grey matter. Sorry if it sounds like whining sometimes... :)

Last edited:
3 months later ... Got a guy who wants to trade me a complete (but stripped for painting) 1950 Dodge Coronet 4 door for the rolling Pontiac. It is a straight 6 flathead with 3 on the tree. Not a desirable car perhaps, but close to running, he says... carb just rebuilt, needs brakes done, fuel system flushed out, paint(?), battery, and exterior parts put back on. He also has a 1960 Impala that needs drive train. I am more excited about that one, waiting on pics. This Poncho is just too much for me at this point. Besides, it's summertime and too hot to do much of anything but hibernate and think silly thoughts. :(

Moving sideways isn't making forward progress. Why do you want more junk? You thought the Pontiac was a gift from heaven and when we tried to tell you, you defended your rationale in acquiring it, which I'm sure you will do now.
I've been there and believe me, you will never get anything finished as long as you keep dragging home every car with some perceived redeeming value. But it's your journey, it took me 40+ years to start getting over it and focus.

I guess because it is something LESS junky and more likely to get on the road, or be sell-able? My hindsight is a lot better than my foresight ... Sorry, I'll go crawl back under my rock.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, I drag home stuff all the time, sometimes thinking "maybe this is the one". but usually just to resell and make some money. We're hotrodders, we all have the disease, it just helps to be realistic about what is or isn't ever going anywhere. If it is to make money, you really can't invest much of your resources because with every dollar or hour you invest, your return will most likely diminish.
I have had as many as 8 or 10 "projects" at one given time. Not one of them ever really got off the ground. Not until I disciplined myself to 2 only. One in the building stage and one in the parts gathering stage.
But I have also supported builds like my rpu by purchasing a whole car, getting the parts I needed and selling off the other parts for profit.
You are wise to make the shift to more complete or running cars that don't need much

Latest posts

Back