Started the chop today!!!!!!!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Chopper T the Caddy is waiting for me to go get it at the lady's house that gave it to me. I really don't have room and don't want to get a divorce by dragging something else home till I get shed of some of the projects that I have going on right now. The Caddy has a flathead in it and I'd like to rebuild it and remove the rear fenders, front fenders, hood and anything else that doesn't look like a rat. Here are a few pics of it.
IMG_1181.jpg

IMG_1184.jpg

IMG_1182.jpg

IMG_1180.jpg

Yes that's an old trike sitting in front of the last pic. Harleyboy

I didn't get much done on the truck today. My bud didn't show up and I'm just learning how to weld so I don't want to mess up anything. I did remove the door glass and shaved errrr beat the rain gutters off and welded a patch over the gas filler hole. You can see in the pic of the weld that I burned a couple of small holes while welding the patch in. I'll get that straightened out tomorrow.
IMG_1240.jpg

IMG_1243.jpg

For get about the trike that looks like a nash metro in front of the caddy ?
Couldnt you twist her arm and talk her out of the nash?ha ha !
i dont judg people buy there weld [its how hard they try,that counts,at least on sheet metal]it s easy to weld on sheet metal and make it hold,dosnt really ''haft'' to be pritty aslong as you cangrind and level enough for the body work [and to suet yourself] the better you get the easyer the body work will be .but when it comes to something life thretining like a frame or suspention work ,its better to know more about welding and fab.now with that being said [i been welding sence i was a kid,not a brag ]and i have worked with pros and coblers alike and weld can be a funny thing.
I have seen things break that should have by all means held and i have seen things that look like crap that are still holding and may always hold no matter how they mistreat it. ''penatration and undercut''
it may be a bad thing to learn how to weld ,it sure has got me into a fix .
And the more that you learn the worse ya get!
but any ways ,keep up the good work ,caint wait to see it finished!

Hey Chopper T that's not a Metropolitan but a regular Nash, althouth she has about 7 or 8 Metropolitans. Most of them are running. I can have that Nash if I want and will probably pull it home when I go get the Caddy. These are parts cars for fully restored cars that are under a shelter behind her house. HB

Hey Chopper Tom, I don't know what I'm going to do with this Nash yet but I'll keep my eye out for some tail lights for you. I've been cleaning up around this lady's house and hauling stuff off to the scrap yard. Today I hauled off 7 motors. One of them was a Model T motor with the trans still attached. I thought about bringing it home and putting it on Craigslist but it's been sitting outside for years and years so I figured that no one would want it. There was a 289 with C4, two flathead 6 cylinders and a couple of V6s. One of the flathead 6s had the trans attached and my small Ford tractor with frontend loader just about tipped over on a small incline. Both tires on one side came off the ground and if I hadn't dumped the engine out of the bucket real quick it would have rolled over sideways. Whew!!! Only me and the wash lady know how scared I was. Harleyboy

sorry in advance ,i goofed up ,it's not a nash but a 59 rambler that he needs tail light s for .i dont know what i was thinking?dahhhh?
sounds like you had an interesting day ! i really hate to here that the T motor was hauled off ,some one out there would have wanted it .but i understand.
one man can only have so much junk in the way [i shude know]i hauled off a strait 8 pontiac afew years ago and all it needed was bored out and freshened up.scrap metal is up right now so i guess i'll be seeing alote of stuff hauled off around here too.i have seen some cool stuff going to the scrap but what can you do?

Hey Chopper Tom, Nash did make the Rambler and that is what this car is a Nash Rambler. I'll try to get the cover off of her good one and take some pics and post them here. The Caddy and Rambler are parts cars for running cars that are in perfect condition. They probably haven't been started in 6 or 7 years but are under a shelter with a cover on both of them. This lady's husband was a mechanic here for 50 years and had the insite to collect a lot of car stuff. The stuff I'm hauling off is things that have been sitting outside in the weather for countless years. I know that a lot of this stuff is valuable but trying to store it and then market it is to big of an operation for me. I have junk scattered out all over my yard and my wife is on me all the time. I have 7 garage stalls at my house and they are all full. My truck parts are sitting outside right now. The only thing that is inside is the cab. The old frame is in the yard along with the S10 frame that the truck is going on. I live on the New River right in town. I couldn't afford to live here if I wasn't one of the first to buy a lot here. I did a lot of sweat equity to get my house built and 20 years later there are a bunch of rich people all around me. I think I'm going to cash in and move into the country where I can have all the junk that I want. Of course I'll probably have to run my wife off. Just joking. I did bring two Model T trannys home but I don't know what good they are. They are cool because the peddles are made onto the trans and there are three peddles on each trans. Enough rambling. Harleyboy

Lookin' good!

Man, that thing is lookin' good! I am very envious of this project! BTW, I do agree with opinion that you should leave the paint as is and just repaint the top and then add the patina to it. This truck is gonna be cool!

Well, well, well, Mr. Darkhorse. Hey guys this is a friend of mine who lives in La. and is an old Harley buddy. He was here at Camp Lejeune in the Marine Corps and has moved back home. He's also a hotrodder. We need to see pictures of your holdings Keith. I'm glad that you found us. There are a bunch of great guys on here that are more than willing to help with anything. Enjoy. Harleyboy

lookin' good HB. that Cadi has some cool lines on it too. my ol' lady needs that center section of that spare cover on the back of that Nash. why is it all you guys live so far away? you dudes are gonna have to move closer to Kentucky. lol:D

Well, Here's what we got done today. I learned the most important word in welding..............GRINDING!!! I'm a much better grinder that I am a welder. I'm really not a welder yet but I'm working on it. I've not been to happy about the way things were looking but today they kinda fell into place. The corners were sorta caved in where we had to make the kerfs to get them back together but we added a piece in and brought it back to the original curve like it was suppose to be. Once that was welded up we ground it down and added some fiberglass filler and presto it looks good. Still have a long way to go but I'm happy with the progress. Harleyboy
IMG_1253.jpg

IMG_1237.jpg

You are making that look easy! Hmmm... Dunno' if I have the skills for a chop... I know I don't have any friends near me that do.:rolleyes:

I could not have done this by myself but my friend has chopped about 3 before. I am learning and believe that I could do one by myself after we finish this one. Just like all the Pros on here have said, it's only metal and you can add more if you make a mistake. HB

Latest posts

Back