Customizations you don't understand

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Several things I don't care for:

Big shiney wheels and rubber band tires....I like a sidewall on my tires, and wagon wheels look best on wagons and Model T's

Wide whitewalls on anything newer than 1959, and any whitewall on a mag or aluminum wheel! Looks too "old guy" to me!

Black wheels....Never cared for them on anything. Don't really care much for red ones, either.

Goofy "theme" cars.....You know, the ones with bathroom fixtures, agriculture farm tools, whiskey stills. Some of them would look pretty good if they'd take off all the odd crap.

Over chopped cars, especially newer than 1948......A lot of them look out of proportion, makes many of them look too fat in the middle.

Over extended frames and front ends......Too short to be a top fueler, too long to look right, I don't get it? :confused:

Faded out, peeling paint.....Sorry, but I'd rather see a car in primer than old worn out paint. And putting clear over it to keep it's "patina"? Just not my thing. When I was growing up, only very poor folks drove vehicles like that, so I guess that has me jaded a bit. If you like it, that's fine, it's just not for me...

Rust....this is a biggie for me. I don't understand the whole rust craze. I want to remove all rust, and cover it with paint or primer. I can understand building a ride without chrome or shiney stuff, but can't understand wanting it to be rusty. I know a lot of rat rodders love rust, more power to ya, I'll give you all of mine!:D

These are my thoughts and mine only, and are not downing anybodies preference or their rides. It's your ride, build it how you want it, don't worry about what I or anybody else likes.

Hope this doesn't kill my brotherhood membership! :D

If we all liked cheerios then we would all be heart smart and planning out a long retirement. But thank god for Bacon, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm bacon.

5 pages of replies and a great variaty of responses. Including ones that pretty much discribe the "Typical" Rat Rod builds.
That's what I love about this site as compared to others that I frequent. Room for lots of different ideas.
Torchie.

I think the only thing that really rips my drawers is a rice grinder.
I don't care what you do to them they are still a POS in my eyes.
Buy American and build American.

I can usually see something good in every ones build even if it's not
the route I would go.

[QUOTE=Bamamav;
Rust....this is a biggie for me. I don't understand the whole rust craze. I want to remove all rust, and cover it with paint or primer.

I just gotta rib you a little Bamamav.
You might want to get the tag under your name changed,
"Rusty Rat Rodder"[cl:D[cl

Diesels. I never have or will understand the attraction to stinkin', rattlin', smokin' oil burners in a "hot rod". No offense to those who build and love 'em, (I have a diesel pickup I covet) but a hot rod burns gasoline, alcohol or nitro. :D

I agree with you Dr.Crank. A diesel belongs in a truck that is actually doing work. There's a whole lot of people that get themselves a double cab dually diesel and never even have a trailer hitch put on it. And never haul anything in the bed because it might get scratched up. Then gripe about the $800 a month payments. I guess it's a he-man kind of thing.

impractical high horsepower

Sam_Fear's comment recalled for me a stock appearing '65 Coronet convertible I saw at a local cruise in. Nice car, no rollbar, and a dual-plug race 426 Hemi. If it ever hooked under full throttle, the doors probably wouldn't open or at the least the top wouldn't latch.

It did look impressive. I guess that is what the lawn chair set are after.

This is also why I am probably putting a small V8 in my truck.

440shorty

Trailer Queens. I just can not understand owning Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Classics or Sports cars and NOT driving them. Collections and owning toys that you don't play with? WHY???

1st, I'm a driver, any work I do is to enhance my driving fun.

Fusion cars, I hate when people do a fusion of two styles. Back in the 80's when the monster truck look was starting there was a Nomad & El Camio I used to see with 44" mudders on them, both needed ladders to get into....SAD just a sad thing to do to cars with so much potential.

Not a something I don't understand more something I find funny:

I have a neighbor with a Dodge Ram, it's "decorated" with bumper stickers with slogans like "when you're out of work eat your foreign car", "buy American", etc., etc. and more flags than a 4th of July parade. Don't get me wrong God love him for being proud of our country.

I'd like to point out his Dodge Ram is made by an Italian company, assembled in Saltillo, Mexico and has 30% non-American parts in it. He keeps it proudly parked in his drive next to the flag pole with an American flag that was sewn in China. Maybe next time I see him filling up at the BP Gas station I might be compelled to point out the irony.:p

Last edited:
I'd like to point out his Dodge Ram is made by an Italian company, assembled in Saltillo, Mexico and has 30% non-American parts in it. He keeps it proudly parked in his drive next to the flag pole with an American flag that was sewn in China. Maybe next time I see him filling up at the BP Gas station I might be compelled to point out the irony.:p

Not that I wouldn't be tempted as well, but ... it might be dangerous....

[I'm a MoPar guy myself, and when we bought our last (used) car I was making sure it was US made - but NOT! (Chose a Dodge Journey, and found out when we were signing the papers that it is built in Old Mexico.)]

I agree with you Dr.Crank. A diesel belongs in a truck that is actually doing work. There's a whole lot of people that get themselves a double cab dually diesel and never even have a trailer hitch put on it. And never haul anything in the bed because it might get scratched up. Then gripe about the $800 a month payments. I guess it's a he-man kind of thing.

No, it's more of a "small *****" kinda' thing ;)

Trailer Queens. I just can not understand owning Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Classics or Sports cars and NOT driving them. Collections and owning toys that you don't play with? WHY???

1st, I'm a driver, any work I do is to enhance my driving fun.

Fusion cars, I hate when people do a fusion of two styles. Back in the 80's when the monster truck look was starting there was a Nomad & El Camio I used to see with 44" mudders on them, both needed ladders to get into....SAD just a sad thing to do to cars with so much potential.

Not a something I don't understand more something I find funny:

I have a neighbor with a Dodge Ram, it's "decorated" with bumper stickers with slogans like "when you're out of work eat your foreign car", "buy American", etc., etc. and more flags than a 4th of July parade. Don't get me wrong God love him for being proud of our country.

Many years ago there were 2 guys in the coffee shop complaining about Hondas and saying how we should buy American, not Japanese. So I ask them what was more American, A Dodge that was made in Japan, a Chevy that was made in Mexico, a Ford that was made in Canada or a Honda that was made in Lexington Kentucky. Then it was "well, it's more about the country of the makers ownership". Really?

sure is interesting to hear about all the things people don't like about customs, or customization of cars...

yall ready for my list?

I don't care for those overly critical of someone else's ride; now don't get me wrong, I have LOTS of things I don't understand that people do to their cars (probably never will[S) but when a man walks up to someone else's ride and becomes a jerk about not liking this, that, or the other thing the owner has done to it...(safety factors excluded) well the complainer, no matter how talented he may be, no matter how nice his ride is, well, that complainer just lost all credibility with me... the thing is we may not "get" the "why" but can't we appreciate the work? even the pic of the twisted regal someone posted has a lot of detail work that I can appreciate and admire...tho I wouldn't want to trade my 46 ford truck for it, I respect it because of the work...

ok... I also hate "dice" or "custom" valve stem caps... ;)

rock on rat rodders, rock on...

sure is interesting to hear about all the things people don't like about customs, or customization of cars...

yall ready for my list?

I don't care for those overly critical of someone else's ride; now don't get me wrong, I have LOTS of things I don't understand that people do to their cars (probably never will[S) but when a man walks up to someone else's ride and becomes a jerk about not liking this, that, or the other thing the owner has done to it...(safety factors excluded) well the complainer, no matter how talented he may be, no matter how nice his ride is, well, that complainer just lost all credibility with me... the thing is we may not "get" the "why" but can't we appreciate the work? even the pic of the twisted regal someone posted has a lot of detail work that I can appreciate and admire...tho I wouldn't want to trade my 46 ford truck for it, I respect it because of the work...

ok... I also hate "dice" or "custom" valve stem caps... ;)

rock on rat rodders, rock on...

Absolutely. I'll add a disclaimer that I don't mean this thread to bash on anyone's ride. If someone wants to do that, they can start their own thread :p.

My 'favorite' was a guy beside me at a red light in a Hino flatbed that reached over and rolled down his window, and the first thing out of his mouth was "It needs paint". I just laughed at him and shook my head.

I definitely think you brought up a good point that's a takeaway. No matter what customization someone has done to their car, it's commendable they put in the money and effort to see their vision come to life. Even if someone has done something you don't like to their car, you should appreciate that it is how they want it, and their vision of how that vehicle should look. After all, it's their car. There are many cars with shaved handles that I love, even though I wouldn't want one in my driveway as I don't like the complications that I've seen them create.

Well, since I kinda pushed this thread away from the OP, one other thing that I don't understand: Clone cars that are trailer queens? I can understand a guy making a clone because he always wanted that cool GTO or SS to cruise around in, but why make a clone show piece? Everybody at the car shows know it's a clone so it's not that special.

Back on topic....The one thing I've almost never liked are slant headlights. Custom or stock, I just never got that look.

IH cabs stuck on cars...never understood that fad either... :D

hotrod preacher; ok... I also hate "dice" or "custom" valve stem caps... ;) rock on rat rodders said:
Oh no not my dice! You killing me preacher.

Attachments

• IMG_1080.JPG
    IMG_1080.JPG
    215.5 KB · Views: 24

Latest posts

Back