28 Fast Four build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could move the front over by adding a strip in between, but that's two seams to weld. I'd move the rear out to match the front, and only have the one seam to weld.

What kind of top are you going to run, cloth or metal, or no top at all?

Thanks Bam, the front is about half the length of the rear so the welding will be about the same.

I haven't planned the top yet, there will be one and I would like to be able to look through the front section at least for traffic lights.

Can't tell for sure, but is the outside contour even side to side, and looking right? Make sure that is where you want it first.

Then...

Split the top sides outboard from the bend that the arrow is pointing at. Maybe an inch out. First try just the front piece. Pull it inboard to match the rear section. (you will likely have to relieve it at the front of the roof opening to allow it to move.) Then if that looks good, fill the pie shaped hole that is made by moving the tin.

If it doesn't look right once you have the front moved, then you will likely have to take some out of the back also, and meet the two in the middle.

WARNING: Bear in mind, I have never done this, so it would be wise to get another opinion. :D

ADDITION-- Bama makes a good point. Less work. You could use a straight edge or string line to see how it looks.

Good luck. Take your time.

I think there is to much difference in width between the front and back for a pie cut. T he front I think will need a pie shaped filler cuz the angle is off slightly.

Cut out what you need...

Exactly like the passenger side.

Take the cuts you need from the discard roof, and weld it into this roof?

Would that work?

Attachments

• 2ROOFs.JPG
    2ROOFs.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 24
not quite..

I think you are onto something here. As in, cut a full length piece out of the middle of the extra roof and replace the entire thing?

Take the amount referred to plus the width of the proposed pie cut and cut it out of the discard roof. Just at the front.

Insert it into this roof.

Would that work?

Attachments

• cut1.JPG
    cut1.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 45
  • cut2.jpg
    cut2.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 39
Take the amount referred to plus the width of the proposed pie cut and cut it out of the discard roof. Just at the front.

Insert it into this roof.

Would that work?
OK. I can see that. If the entire side of the opening is a straight line.

I just went back to look at the pics of the shortening. Since the front piece is pulled out to line up the outside, you are correct, the inside of the front is all that needs to be realigned. Good eye!

Last edited:
Take the cuts you need from the discard roof, and weld it into this roof?

Would that work?

That's a great idea:D

I think you are onto something here. As in, cut a full length piece out of the middle of the extra roof and replace the entire thing?

If I just take the front piece that is too narrow I will only have 16"s to weld instead of 5' per side.[;)[;)

Okay I left the roof for another day and got the rear quarter on the passenger side done. It was really bothering me cuz this is something way beyond what I have ever done:eek:
There is no measure twice cut once doing this kind of panel fitting, more like cut and mark tiny amounts at a time, (about 100 times) till the fit and the gaps are correct.

I'm liking the proportions so far.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Quarter 001.jpg
    Quarter 001.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 136
  • Quarter 002.jpg
    Quarter 002.jpg