I got a question about wiring.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RUSTY50F1

@$$Fault Junkie
I started taking the wiring off the IROC starting from the ECM can anyone tell me what wiring I have to have as far as the engine running part of it? There has to be at least 60 wires coming out of it. Please tell me I don't need all of these. ........RUSTY

stop!!! :eek:

get a roll of masking tape, a pen, and a camera

take pictures of everything before you disconnect it, label every wire as you take it apart. take your time. you might not need everything because you have the painless harness but you don't want to be figuring things out later. that's what makes it hard. It's alot easier to take the whole harness with the motor, install it, and eliminate what you don't need once it's in the rod and running. trust me on this one.

Thanks joehalford01. I have labeled all the plugs that I have unpluged. I'm not going to unpluge the wires that are on the injectors or the fuel rail. I'm hoping I can pull the engine and tranny with all the wires intact is that possible. ........RUSTY

i don't see why not, the injector plugs are not a big deal as long as you label them properly. it might be easier if to pull the engine if you unhook all the wires, as long as label everything clearly you shouldn't have any issues.

Just unplug the harness from the ECU.(computer) Then go ahead and pull the motor after you have disconected fuel line and all.You dont have to be real concerned about that harness as you will most likely buy a new one.Most of that harness will not be useable in a rat or a street rod.

Thanks joehalford01. I have labeled all the plugs that I have unpluged. I'm not going to unpluge the wires that are on the injectors or the fuel rail. I'm hoping I can pull the engine and tranny with all the wires intact is that possible. ........RUSTY

You can,Just as long as u unplug everything from the ECU and all the grounds that may be bolted.

Brave ones!!!

MAn, u guys r really brave! I am good with personal computers but when it comes to swappin' EFI motors... I'll b stickin' with my good old carburetor. Guess I'm CS & easily confused.

BoB

I hate computers and fuel injection because of all those wires and stuff. :confused::confused: One time we swapped a 5.0 engine with all that stuff into a 4 cylinder Mustang, and I spent 3 weeks going to the library every night making drawings of wiring diagrams. Got it all done, and when we turned the lights on, the horn started blowing. :eek: Back to the drawing board.

I know I am living in the past, but I'm like Tripper, give me a carb and no computer any day.

Don

I was a mechanic till I was 31 and still am affraid of computer/EFI cars. Seems kinda crazy to me that I am still skeered of them and I want an LS1/LS2 in my 67 chevy pu someday so I might have to buck this lil Camper and do it but I would go with a stand alone computer setup from EZwire, Ron Francis, etc.

Jim

I remember when onequick26 converted his 5.0 stang from injection to carb. I swear he had taken 75 pounds of wire out that thing by the time he was done. And I think it ran better.

I avoid cars with more wires than a phone company and more hoses than a fire truck. Give me eight wires (Bat, Alt, Dist, Starter, Oil, Temp, Charge, and Fuel), and four hoses (Dist vac, Trans mod vac, Brake Booster, and PVC). And, I know hand signals and use them, even though the guy behind me doesn't (he thinks I'm flipping him off). Computer controlled engines??? Don't go there...

Thanks fellas I checked into the store bought harness. $$$$$$$$$$$$$.... I think I'm going to try to figure out what I already have when I get to that point. I can almost paint my truck for the cost of the new harness. I'm sure there is someone on this site that can help me out if I get in a bind.........RUSTY

Latest posts

Back