Big Block Bantam

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Tom.

The revised roll cage is welded in, for the most part. My body wouldn't bend into position for the last few welds. Tomorrow I'll start fresh. The door bars will have to wait til the car is about done. In the way too much while building.
The rear down tubes are too steep to pass inspection but I ran out of body to the rear. They'll probably overlook that at the nostalgia drags. Not too fussy there.
I gained some rear wheel clearance raising the back of the body. I did it to get the forward lean of the body to match the frame. Much better now.
Man, the work I go through to gain a couple inches here and there.

Attachments

• Mo Cage 001.jpg
    Mo Cage 001.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 59
  • Mo Cage 002.jpg
    Mo Cage 002.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 53
  • Mo Cage 003.jpg
    Mo Cage 003.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 52
  • Mo Cage 004.jpg
    Mo Cage 004.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 51
  • Mo Cage 006.jpg
    Mo Cage 006.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 69
  • Mo Cage 005.jpg
    Mo Cage 005.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 70
Ya Bob, that is a very clean roll cage rebuild. No worry on the back down tubes. That cage would would pass tech in Bakersfield with flying colors. From past experance if you can pass tech there you can pass it anyware. Real nice construction.[;)[;)[;)

I am with you on door bars until you are done with all the interior. Nice part is that they can be bolted in on the swing side and only installed for the few races. Way nicer for the street with them removed. [cl[cl

Maybe just maybe you are about to complete your last major modification on this project, lets hope so.:eek:;)

Wow! I appreciate all the responses. Not much new to report. NHRA rules state that the seat back must be bolted to a crossbrace on the main roll bar hoop. Also, a headrest is required. Those two things among some others got done recently.

Attachments

• headrest 001.jpg
    headrest 001.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 36
Yes, FV, faster than I care to go. It has a tall rear gear which should dampen acceleration somewhat.

The flat portion of the floor is done. Just a little more to do on the revised transmission and driveshaft cover.

Attachments

• floor 003.jpg
    floor 003.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 31
Looking nice Bob. [;) With some mid range street gearing & a mild BBC maybe low 11's to 12's? :eek: You got to make one pass in it before you sell the project and get started on the FM dragster.[cl Stay well & safe during these tuff times. Tell Dave Hi and he is doing the right thing.

Once again, not much progress to show. I must be falling asleep in the shop and not know it.
Anyhoo, buttoned up the trans/driveshaft cover. I ran out of sheet metal and the supplier is closed until the scare is over. Dug around and found some scraps that I squared up and welded together to make the sides for the driveshaft cover. Located the Cheetah shifter. Not sure I can reach the dash when belted in. I'll have to start it and then tighten the shoulder straps.
The third pic shows how much I raised the rear of the body. Before, the crossmember was hardly exposed.

Attachments

• shifter 002.jpg
    shifter 002.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 36
  • shifter 003.jpg
    shifter 003.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 37
  • shifter 004.jpg
    shifter 004.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 40
Located the Cheetah shifter. Not sure I can reach the dash when belted in. I'll have to start it and then tighten the shoulder straps.

You may have to move your ignition switch to a panel mounted on the shifter.
You want to be able to shut it down quickly if you have a mishap, if you can't reach it when belted in that's going to be a scary situation.....

Latest posts

Back