I got me a ford rearend !!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlatBroke

Hostage Negotiator
My neighbor gave me what appears to be an 8 1/2 or a 9 in rearend housing. it almost looks like it would bolt right in my 81 GMC truck.
1. Is there any way to know for sure without actually swapping them out?
2. An 8 1/2 rear is still good a good rearend to built for a mild rod, RIGHT.

Just want to know for sure. Thanks guys for any help and info..

Thank you Sam.

After I get this thing cleaned up a little, I will post some pics soo you guy can make sure I "ID" this thing the right way.

Thanks again Sam

If you can get a socket on the bottom PS nut that holds the center section in that a 8 inch. If you need a wrench its a 9 inch ford.

if the "guts" come out the front = 8" OR 9"

if the guts come out the back 8.8" or possibly a 7.5" (newer rigs have these)

there is a ford car--like the big mid 70's LTD-- that has a 9" and the bolt pattern is actually 5 on 5 ---yep a chevy truck wheel will bolt right on it and the width is almost the same too;)

thought you might wanna know......:D

Well guys,
I got out the old digital camera and took some pics of the rearend housing, (to make sure it is a 9in) went back in the house to resize & post them and for some reason had problems with loading them on the computer. Maybe after work I can get Reason4 to help me figure out what I'm doing wrong.

STAY TUNED

You can't access one of the bottom bolts with a socket on a 9", but you can access them all on an 8!...CR

The first picture is of a 8 inch housing. Note how the top and bottom are flat.

Second picture is a 9 inch housing The top and bottom are round.

Third picture is of a 9 inch housing that will also take a 9 1/4 center section. Note the cut out on the mounting flange.

Attachments

• 8 inch housing.jpg
    8 inch housing.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 55
  • 9 inch housing.jpg
    9 inch housing.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 9 inch housing A.jpg
    9 inch housing A.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 53
if the "guts" come out the front = 8" OR 9"

if the guts come out the back 8.8" or possibly a 7.5" (newer rigs have these)

there is a ford car--like the big mid 70's LTD-- that has a 9" and the bolt pattern is actually 5 on 5 ---yep a chevy truck wheel will bolt right on it and the width is almost the same too;)

thought you might wanna know......:D

The mid to late lincoln 9" has a 5 on 5 pattern also.

Thanks for the info guys. I took some pics of the rearend and somehow or another, I cant seem to access them on the camera itself...:mad: Sort of at a standstill withit right now...had to replace the cam in the truck and still am not complete on that yet.

I will keep everyone posted.

Latest posts

Back