slammed too much

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corsair

This may *not* qualify as a tech tip, as I am seeking advice:

I have a 1950 F1 with a straight axle and 455 Olds power (exciting times, its just been safetied and licenced - pics to follow). I dropped the front ride height by mounting the axle over the spring. The rear was done the same way, but the drop is not as severe, so the stance is noticably nose down.

Problem: Its down too low in the weeds, with the front bumper only 8 inches off the pavement. Its low enough that the shocks essentially don't do their job. The ride is rough as ______.

A couple of ways to correct this:

1. Forget about the drop, put the axle back in the stock position. This will gives me a slight nose-up, mild gasser look. May be quite nice.
2. Get some big coil overs for the front end to give me a couple of inches.
3. Make up some custom spring hangers to gain a few inches.

The last one might be the best, because it'll still give me the most choice in determining the ride height.

Please vote for 1, 2, or 3... or give me your opinion on other possibilites...

Many thanks,
Ian

With that much drop, I'm sure you are hitting the bump stops, or riding on them all the time. I would put the axle back to normal, and remove a leaf or two from the front springs to get some drop. You can also cut a leaf or two to shorten it, which will also drop it a little. You can also try to shave the bump stop down or relocate it upwards to get a little more wheel travel.

Of course the best way is to get a drop axle but thats not exactly free.

I go with Big Irish. Take a couple of leaves out after you return them to the stock position. You'll be surprised at the drop and you'll still have a smooth ride....CR

Bigirish way is the way to go. I did it to one years ago and dropped it about 3 1/2 inches in the front. I think I took three or four springs out. Two or three were the short ones and the last one from the top of the pack but not sure witch one. For shocks All I did was get shorter shocks.

This may *not* qualify as a tech tip, as I am seeking advice:

Problem: Its down too low in the weeds, with the front bumper only 8 inches off the pavement. Its low enough that the shocks essentially don't do their job. The ride is rough as ______.

Many thanks,
Ian

When I let all the air out of my front bags my bumper is 2 " off the pavement -, that is in the weeds- I gotta think that before you made the modifacation the ride was pretty rough as it was in all those old trucks . If you think your rough ride is due too the shocks play around with the mounts and get the travel correct . You know shocks actually dampen the bumps and don't have much too do with the ride except when encountering bumps or holes . If your ride is rough at all times it might just be the nature of the beast . Guys don't put Mustang and camero clips on these old rides for the looks . There are ways to get the look and the ride you want , but not necessarly with the old components .

Just spend the money and get a dropped axle. Isn't being able to drive your car worth it? You will get the ride height and quality you want with LOTS less headache. Plus there isn't much cooler than a dropped I-beam...

Like Rainman said, it can never be too low. Just raise the shock mounts or get shorter shocks. Likely the axle is contacting the frame too, so a C notch in the frame would solve that as long as the axle doesn't come too close to the oil pan.. Slightly nose high just wouldn't look right, there's more to creating a proper 'gasser' look than just being a bit nose high.

Thanks all... I will likely go for Big Irish's advice, relocate the axle on its stock perch and shoot for the leveled out or slightly nose down stance.

At the end of the day, it'll still be a huge drop from where it was last year. Lots of problems will be corrected.

FWIW, the bump stops are shaved.

I grew up driving these trucks. Actually was the first vehicle I learned how to drive in... so I do know how they are supposed to ride. Rough is fine, but this is too much. Trust me - there is no, none, nada shock damping happening. Catching air over a rail crossing is not cool.

Latest posts

Back