Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Builds!

Builds! Post your project here... show us what you're up to! Please Note: This section is for "Builds" ONLY!

Old 08-07-2019, 06:17 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

So the 9" Ford rear end I found...it was missing quiet a few parts...thank GOD for the internet...found most everything I needed at Toms Bronco Barn on the West coast...

some of the stuff fit...some of it didnt...

I cant blame Toms...when I bought the rear end out of the junk pile, I asked the fellow "So when I go the store to buy parts for this...what make model and year is it???"...he hemmed and hawed....scratched his chin a little and says...."...tell them it is a 1970 Bronco"...so that is what I used as a base line when purchasing parts....as far as the 9" Ford I am a total newbie...I am use to Camaro and S10 rear ends...live and learn...

these parts you wont need...thinking about giving the folks at Lokar a shout to see what they can do for me....

Rock Auto to the rescue...

more to follow
Old 08-07-2019, 06:31 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I had to show some of the "Hodge Podge Engineering" that went on back in the day....

the right rear suspension as I bought it....

lower shock mount...

this one I get...from what I was told from the folks over at the HAMB...this was to keep the steering box from pulling out of the frame mount....

this is the back side of the steering box mount....

I tried to repair that area....I think it came out ok...this frame is so bent and twisted...not a straight part on it...oh well...once a Jalopy always a Jalopy...my goal is to keep that flavor alive with this rebuild...

MikeC
Old 08-07-2019, 09:14 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Torchie
Old 08-15-2019, 07:29 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Had the grandkids for a week...so worked came to a halt...before they got here I did my best "Hodge Podge" engineering on they old heap....someone at some time swapped of did something to the steering mount or the steering box base or something...I cant tell which got cobbled up but I just put back all the stuff like it was before...sorta...steering column was several inches off from the original mounting holes...

this is what we had before...bolted to a piece of angle iron...

offset shown above...

so I started the hodge podge again....

a little bit of this a little bit of that...1 bolt to hold it to the dash and 2 to hold the column...just like what those earlier folks would do...

good as new...

not sure what happened here...but as the folks of yesteryear would do...looks good from here...

Hey at least the old heap has steering...first time in 3 months...thought we would never get all those parts to work together...

then onto the running boards...I really wanted to put some decent running board covers on this heap...but I was only going to have to cut them up when I got them mounted...so Lowes to the rescue...
Bought a 6 foot section for 30 bucks shipped to my house...

look at this...

and back on the old heap...

Just like new...I even kept the winkles in the running...

From what I have gathered...this old Jalopy was not a front runner back on the day but more of an "also ran" or maybe even a "back marker"...there is no real damage on the front of the car...the rear is like a bag of walnuts...the drivers side has some racing damage on it too...so it was either in the way or was getting pushed out of the way...

Passenger side next up....

baby steps they are....

cant wait to get it done....

MikeC
Old Yesterday, 10:58 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Enjoying following along Mike. Keep them photos coming.
Old Yesterday, 12:24 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Old Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Still crazy after all these years!

Lotsa work. I'm glad you're sticking to it.