model A coupe

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a sweet ride i like the way you mounted the front spring i have never seen that before i may borrow your idea. I am new to this old school stuff i am building a 26 coupe always built pro street trucks and cars. The spring mounted to the split wish bones is that old school or is that your own design and does it ride better the same or worse. Thanks wayne

some of the work i have been doing on this car lately has been not photo worthy, lots of welding and grinding on the floor pans, and sub rails. but i started working on the steering box a little today. it is a reversed corvair box, i am going to run it as cowl steering. so i have to make an extension to get the pitman arm to the out side of the body,and make the pitman arm.

here is the draft of the plan

DSCN6967_zps4d7ceaae.jpg

all the pieces machined, after a few hours turning handles lol

558641_10152350172070021_1725636208_n_zps04860769.jpg

close up of the pitman arm i made

DSCN6968_zps9892f3fe.jpg

the mess i made

DSCN6969_zps8837c79c.jpg

DSCN6970_zps22028e14.jpg

everything bolted up on the work table, there will be carrier bearing installed when the assembly is installed in the car

DSCN6974_zpsc5e4deb4.jpg

DSCN6973_zps2342a283.jpg

i have had a few questions on how the steering out put shaft extension is held on so i snapped a few pics of it today, you can see the one end is splined to fit the splines on the box, and the other end is hollow so you can use a socket and extension to install the nut and lock washer to the end of the output shaft and hold it all together

well this month has been hectic with all the traveling i have been doing for shows and events. so i have been in town for the past week so i figured i would try to make some big leaps on this one before i leave again lol. so here they are

made these little brackets that bolt to the fire wall that the hood latched hook to

made a support plate that will help spread out the weight of the oil filter can on the fire wall, and it helps dress it up a little

with the filter can on

then moved on to more work on the pedals/ steering. it is all going to be one unit under the dash. here is the pedal assembly with the steering box mocked up to it, you cant see the pedals in the first pic, i took them off to make it easier to get in and out of the car

pitman arm on the car for the first time

bent up a tube that welds to the cowl/ door post, i will be attaching brackets to help support the steering/ pedal assembly

more of the supports coming together. the collar to the right with the upright will be split in half horizontally with tabs welded to it so it can be bolted together. this way the steering box bracket can be removed if need be. the collar to the left of the clamp collar is a pivot that will be part of the gas pedal (cardboard template of the pedal can be seen)

here is a close up shot of how the bracket attaches to the box, using the 3 bolt locations that hold the side cap/ adjuster on. using spacers and plate to attach the tube to. you can also see part of the pedals in this pic, still need to attach the brake pedal arm to the pivot

sorry that the pics were not working for a while, i think i got that problem resolved.

so back to the car

been working on the steering a lot more, trying to get it all fabricated and working. so here it is after a ton of hours

had to make a custom brass bushing to support the steering shaft, a huge thanks to Josh Shaw for his help on a saturday afternoon machining job

the clamp to attach the bushing to the tube work

starting to look like something

made some brackets to support the steering shaft from the wheel

then had to make a steering column clamp to support the column and steering wheel

and the finished product, just need to finish up the pedals

WELL, when I win the Powerball, guess where I'm heading! Gonna have this guy build me a whole car from Scratch----------
Marvelous work. I believe you could make me a new door for my Essex to replace the one I don't have!

a little more progress on the Minges coupe, got the pedal/ steering assembly fully welded, sand blasted, primed and re installed

then i thought it would be a good time take the old wood out of the roof and get the new wood kit in. started pulling the wood on the passenger side and noticed some cracking in the sheet metal. dug a little deeper and found a ton of led, and a lot of bad sheet metal work when it was chopped

so i figured i would start on the roof side panels and work my way back, and down. spent a few hours with the hammer and dollie and got the roof pretty straight. then, cleaned the inside the roof, and put some black paint in, and started installing the passenger side roof wood.

Latest posts

Back