Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Transmission, Rear End... Talk & Q&A!

Transmission, Rear End... Talk & Q&A! Tranny, rear end, drivetrain related stuff... shift it... grind it... pop da clutch!

Old 09-02-2017, 09:47 PM

Excellent. Thanks guys.
Is the yoke supposed to slide freely, or is it supposed to be very tight?
Mine is currently very tight. It required a hammer to knock it back on.

Here's what I did today:

I basically just moved parts around. I took off the u joint from the yoke on the big driveshaft and connected it (temporarily. Need a new ujoint cap) to the rear diff. The shorter driveshaft got the carrier bearing bracket removed.

So, I have a u joint on each end and a yoke in the middle. I will be using airbags, so it does look like it will compress the shaft into the yoke as it rises to drive height.

Does this look ok??

Also, I plan on keep 4wd. The front driveshaft is now going to need to be extended and have a carrier bearing and midpoint pivot. I plan on having a frame cross-member where the board is. It looks like the longer rear driveshaft is about the right length to cover the gap. Can I use it for this purpose? It looks like the u joints for the front and rear shafts differ quite a bit in size. I guess it doesn't matter since whatever I put in that place needs to have a carrier bearing. Are front driveshaft carrier bearings a thing, or do I need to adapt something?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170902_223010.jpg (124.3 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 20170902_223634.jpg (124.7 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by serrata; 09-02-2017 at 09:55 PM. Reason: forgot second pic...
Old 09-02-2017, 09:56 PM
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakysnake View Post
The front has a long spline that the slide slips up on so I don't see where you think it can jump out of alignment?

It looked to me, like the universal joint would (naturally) "run out" and chew the splines to hell.

Your short shaft is deceiving, but if you have LOTS of spline engaged, I'll shut my trap and move along.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg dr shaft1.jpg (47.4 KB, 2 views)
Old 09-02-2017, 10:15 PM
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by serrata View Post
Excellent. Thanks guys.
Is the yoke supposed to slide freely, or is it supposed to be very tight?
Mine is currently very tight. It required a hammer to knock it back on.
The rear slip joint should move freely and your u-joints are out of phase. Pull it apart, rotate and get the yokes in line with each other... they should be aligned like your front shaft.

A carrier bearing will not work for the front, unless you add another u-joint. Lengthen the shaft.

Edit: What in the world are you doing here? Rear shaft in the front, front shaft in the rear????

Old 09-02-2017, 11:00 PM

Ah!
I just put the u joints in phase and the yoke slips freely. Thanks!!
Old 09-02-2017, 11:04 PM

Just saw your other question from your edit.
The rear originally had 2 shafts, one before the carrier bearing and one after. I'm just eliminating the one after since the overall length is now much shorter in the rear. (the engine is farther back now)

For the front driveshaft, I'm not sure yet. Because I'm extending the front axle way out in front of the engine, I need more length to the front driveshaft. The distance is so long now that it looks like I'll require a carrier bearing.
Old 09-02-2017, 11:11 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Crankenstein View Post
The rear slip joint should move freely and your u-joints are out of phase. Pull it apart, rotate and get the yokes in line with each other... they should be aligned like your front shaft.

A carrier bearing will not work for the front, unless you add another u-joint. Lengthen the shaft.

Edit: What in the world are you doing here? Rear shaft in the front, front shaft in the rear????

Trust the good doctor. He knows of what he speaks. Even if you get all the pieces to "work" together, you will likely have to have the final assembly balanced by a professional driveshaft shop. These critters are really not made to mix and match like this. Phasing can still be wrong, even when it looks right. This will cause vibration that will lead to driveshaft failure, which is not a pretty thing. On a good day, it trashes your gearbox. On a bad day... well, that is what driveshaft loops are supposed to be for.

The thing about a '39 Ford pick-up is that that ugly grille kinda' grows on ya' after a while.

Not taking anything too seriously.
Old 09-03-2017, 12:08 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I think you could probably use a carrier bearing on the back front shaft, straight out of the Tfer case, carrier bearing before the U joints, then let the front shaft pivot as needed. No different than making a steering shaft with a carrier and multiple joints.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:33 PM
"There’s nothing new in originality"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Crankenstein View Post

You may be on to something there, with the distances reversed that may not be a bad option, straight shot the rear and carrier bearing the front with the slide.
The way he has the rear now the slide is to far out to work well that way,and to stretch the front that far will definitely cause vibration without a carrier

'53 Build Link

"Its a catastrophic success"