"Secret Willys Revival" (My chopped '53)

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ray-
I guess not all Willys are created equal. Here's what mine looks like under the seats. You figgered it out right!
Progress on yours makes me jealous. I only hope I can match your pace when mine really gets rollin'. Keep up the good work!

51Willys017.jpg

go ahead, post'em, [;)

can't be any worse looking than the wire holders l made outta old license plates tonight:eek:

I believe a comparison is now in order [P

166tunnelcomingupshortROUGHLarge.jpg

Mine is definitely rougher! I WIN [cl [S ....wait a minute, is this a contest I really want to win? LOL

164weldinginthetunnelROUGHLarge.jpg

I bent up this crude tunnel over 25 years ago using the last piece of metal I had at the time and it was a little short. I guess it has some sentimental value so I hated not to use it.....I just made some slices in the firewall and bent it in to meet it.
Doesn't look too bad from this angle if you stand back and squint a little, LOL

168tunnelcomingtogetherLarge.jpg

Ray-
I guess not all Willys are created equal. Here's what mine looks like under the seats. You figgered it out right!
Progress on yours makes me jealous. I only hope I can match your pace when mine really gets rollin'. Keep up the good work!

51Willys017.jpg

Hey, that's pretty cool! I've never noticed a Willys with those......does that mean that your panel has 4 glove box lids ?? I always thought it was neat that they had the two on the dash, I 'll probably locate my fuse panel in the one in front of the steering wheel. I do seem to be making some progress albeit slow, as for the pace I just hope I can maintain it myself, LOL

Man I really like this thing!

Thanks, glad you like it!

Didn't work on the Willys last night but I'm going to sneak a little time here this morning while waiting for the grass to dry so I can mow.

To be continued,

Ray

4 glove box doors? Have you met my truck? I'm lucky to have 4 sides to the body.

Here's a shot of the dash as it sits

this is what it looked like when I rolled it off the trailer

and this is what keeps me going on it. I dont recall when I ever saw a panel truck on the road. Hopefully I can get this done enough to drive. [;)

Hey by golly, how are my welds looking now :D
Worked on this I-beam this weekend..........

IMG_0136Large.jpg

IMG_0142Large.jpg

......getting better aren't I [;)

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Okay, maybe my welds aren't improving........that beam is all made out of wood, bolts and all and the welds are caulking! Made it for my daughter's apartment next door, they are into the Industrial/Steampunk look..........

IMG_0159Large.jpg

IMG_0156Large.jpg

IMG_0163Large.jpg

Didn't turn out too bad, there will be a ceiling fan like this http://www.lightinguniverse.com/products/view.aspx?sku=4203797 mounted on it and another beam on either side over the dining area.

Just got the beam up this evening and then had company. Company's gone so I'm gonna stay up a little late tonight and work on the Willys some too, will update progress tomorrow.

Stay tuned,

Ray

......... I'm gonna stay up a little late tonight and work on the Willys some too, will update progress tomorrow.

It's almost 1:30 AM so it's technically tomorrow right ? LOL
Been working on my firewall recess, it clears a points distributor as is but I thought I'd make plenty of room for an HEI while I'm cutting and welding.

Laid out my cuts........

169preparingtorecessfirewallLarge.jpg

Cut out lower section and moved it up to measure for shortening the cowl vent brace.......

170cutoutlowersectionandmovedituptomeasurecowlbracecutLarge.jpg

Cut out the rest and shortened the brace.....

171cutoutuppersectionandshortenedcowlventbraceLarge.jpg

Welded in the piece.......

174weldeditinLarge.jpg

I'll make a piece to fill in the bottom and I should have plenty of room :cool:
Hopefully this week will see me ground, filled and ready for some primer and paint on the bottom of this thing
smiley_goodluck_yellow.gif

To be continued,

Ray

Well, I've got another four day streak going. Some days it's only and hour or so but it's progress. Worked on the recess again tonight, filled in the bottom section, also filled the original hood hinge holes and welded up some small holes.....some that were there already and some that I burned :eek:

175filledbottomofrecessLarge.jpg

176firewallrecessLarge.jpg

Drug my fenders out and studied on them a bit[S I did have them welded to the cab but I think I'll bolt them on this time [S Either way I need to make some patch panels for the rear sections of them.......

17fendersneedworkLarge.jpg

I have a couple little side jobs that need to be done this week but I still hope to be ready for primer sometime over the weekend.

To be continued,

Ray

undercoat

are ya gonna undercoat the bottom/ground side of the floor:confused:

l did and it made a real difference on how the ''dirt side'' looked.

looks like decent progress[cl

Later:cool:

are ya gonna undercoat the bottom/ground side of the floor:confused:

No, I plan to go over the 'quilt work' with some Duraglas, brush on some Rustoleum primer and then shoot it with some John Deere Blitz Black.........not that it's the best way but mostly because I already have all this stuff so there's no purchase necessary :D

The beam is just too cool! Making great progress on the Willys........

Thanks Paul, my fake welds look better than my real ones :eek: Wood is my strong suit.

me too

Snake Farm'' I already have all this stuff so there's no purchase necessary ''

that's what l build almost all my stuff with, things l aready have. helps with the budget.[ddev (or lack of)

Worked on one of the fenders tonight. Done a little 'skin grafting' of sorts, I cut a patch out of one of the seat riser cubby hole cutouts and fixed the tail end of the drivers side fender........

177patchingfenderLarge.jpg

178fittingpatchLarge.jpg

180patchweldedinLarge.jpg

181alittlegrindingLarge.jpg

.....I think it will pass, this is a Rat Rod ya know :D
I've decided not to weld the fenders back on this time and bolt them on instead, so I need to get them patched up and get the new rockers drilled for bolting them on before I go doing any filling and painting. Hope to get this one on tomorrow and start patching the other one.

Stay tuned,

Ray

Had to do a little "Snake Wrestling" here at the Snake Farm today!
Chair.gif

I found myself at home today because we have a job tonight in a grocery store that has to be done while the store is closed. So I decided to work on my fender and went out back to rob some self tapping body bolts off one of the old work vans that I have retired. I had the hood up on one and was taking some bolts out of the front structure when I noticed a large "Halogen Eyed Harness Snake" :eek: hiding under the hood and me being easily distracted, decided to wrestle it out of there :rolleyes: So, needless to say I didn't get anything done on my fender but after about two hours and several small cuts and abrasions I did manage to subdue the forked tongued monster :D

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

182vanwiringharnessLarge.jpg

Don't know if anyone else uses stuff like this but everything on the van was working when I parked it and there's really nothing in the budget for wiring (or anything else for that matter :eek:) so I'm going to give it a try. I will be trimming it down to the bare minimum since I don't plan to have much on the truck in the way of accessories but it gives me a fuse box, headlight switch, headlight/park/turn signal harness with plugs, the start of the tail/brake light wiring and the dash and steering column stuff.......which I may be able to adapt to the column ('76 Malibu) that is in the Willys. So, maybe I'll get back to the fenders tomorrow :eek::D

To be continued,

Ray

Geesh, here it is almost 5:00 PM! I worked last night and have been up most of the day and I have to go back out at 10:00 PM :eek: Gonna be a long night but I just had to work some on the Willys today.......I'm riding a seven day streak and didn't want to break it :D
I got my drivers side fender bolted on.....

183boltedonfenderLarge.jpg

...and then started on the passenger side

184patchLarge.jpg

185cutoutbadLarge.jpg

186tackedinpatchLarge.jpg

.....ran out of time :(

Gotta catch a few Z's before I go to work
male23-male-tired-weary-smiley-emoticon-000065-large.gif

Stay tuned,

Ray

keepin' up

ya keep up this pace, y'all cath up to me:D

me, just out working on odds and ends, don't they seem to take longer than the major stuff sometimes:confused:[S

looking good[P

you have been on and off of this project for 15 years! (if I remember right). No need to finish it in 15 days![cl

You`re burning it up man!

Ahh, so you noticed huh :eek: ....

holeLarge.jpg

.....or were you speaking metaphorically [S:D

you have been on and off of this project for 15 years! (if I remember right). No need to finish it in 15 days![cl

Actually it's more like 30 years.....but who's counting :rolleyes: I have been fired up pretty good lately, I think it's because this is the first time I've actually worked on the truck since I've had my own garage and welder....always before I had to use someone else's garage and tools. This is definitely the most I've ever worked on it in such a short period of time.

Today I finished welding the patch in the fender and then drilled and bolted it in place.....

188fenderspatchedandboltedinplaceLarge.jpg

...I also finished the front ends of the rocker panels and made a filler for the rear of the trans tunnel to eliminate a ledge that would have collected dirt big time!

I have a bunch of yard work to do tomorrow but I hope to get and hour or so in on the Willys too.

Stay tuned,

Ray

Hey Snake Farm

Gotta chime in again. You are definitely are really motivated to get this thing together. This pre-rat rod piece of history is gonna look awesome. I still have my old Willys truck (stock stock stock)but I can see how with a boat load of work what these old trucks can look like. I have spent a lot of time working on mine but seeing different pieces in totally different ways on your truck...you are one creative dude thats for sure. Keep up the good work.

MikeC

Latest posts

Back