Bonneville 2017

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Got Rust?

Wendover Utah ( a small town on your way to "Donna's Ranch" in Wells NV) Speedweek is come'n up, anybody willing to admit they've lost their mind enough to drive, fly, or hitchhike to Bonneville for Speedweek? A chance to walk amongst other insane folk trying to break long ago established records for being the fastest in a variety of classes. A few are coming from the Northwest, Tatum running a blown Flathead street roadster, Develin in a 2300 powered 75 Mustang, and myself in a 1938 Miller race car with a Ford flathead, and others I can't think of right now. It's always way to much to do, to far to drive, takes to much time away from work, home, playing video games, whatever,,,,,,,,,until you go the first time, then you say, why haven't I done this before. So, who's in?

I went in the late '80s. Had future (now ex) relatives involved. SCTA people. Does a slingshot named "Black Widow" ring any bells? It was a great time. Hangin' at the timing stations, cleaning up the track when a huge engine decided to become a hand grenade, wandering around in the pits.

lake bonneville again.?,,

There has been a LOTS of snow this year, and I haven't seen any predictions for what will happen. The north end of the great salt lake was partially dammed off when they built a railroad crossing in the 50's creating a fresh water lake from the bear river flowing in. that portion got so high with all the snow melt they were cutting holes thru. If you plan on going check the condition often when it gets closer. . A few years ago rains a week before speedweek flooded it. The Utah Locals also have speed events check out Usfra

bonneville

I used to live about 120 miles from B ville, one year my son took the boyscouts out when usfra was hosting the events and boys and adults in uniform got in free. walk around the pits and if the crew is not trying to get the car ready , lots of interesting talk about their car.
The Ohio State U streamliner crew had a lot of free time and gave the boys a good tour of their car and support trailer and equipment.
And there is nothing like hearing a HEMI running flat out as it goes thru the 3 mile marker.

The mining company has increased it's brine pumping back onto the salt, there is a lot of water still out there now, both of these things should help make it a good year for going fast. Time will tell of course, but the teams from New Zealand, Japan, and Italy are already shipping bikes and cars so they have placed their bet's and money on a good track. Yup, it could all be just for a gathering at the Nuggett with no racing. In a way that's kind of the magic of the event now, when you press your right foot down for fast run, it could be one of the last times for you, the car you've got $$ in, the spectator, the record books, the event that is Bonneville.

BLM mis-management.

The US government Breaue of Land Management Has done a very poor job of managing western lands. Insiders will tell you that policies are based on advoiding lawsuits by the so called enviromental groups , not whats best. WE now have lots of wild land fires each summer, Millions of acres of timber destroyed. AND the SALT FLATS in the poor condition. A few years ago the fires in new mexico stopped when they reached the indian reservation lands. The native americans have lived on their lands for centuries and have had some control the last half century. Controlled timber harvest, livestock grazing. Presently the Havasupi tribe in the grand canyon are fighting the BLM allowing mining on their reservation land, All the trouble in Oregon started last year after peopld in the inside of the Clinton Foundation were able to take over grazing land to mine uranium and sell it to russia, My neice is married to a native american and in Northern Nevada the BLM is taking away land from the northern Shoshone tribe. The BLM took river front property from my wife and her family that they have had deeds to for over 125 years, paid taxes on, etc. WITH NO COMPENSATION, presently the BLM is taking land away from ranchers along the Texas Oklahoma-Red River border NO pay for the land they seize. There are youtube videos of meetings of how the BLM buys land at much reduced costs, First they Reduce the amount of cattle a rancher can graze on his homestead rights then the value of the ranch is based on the amunt of livestock he can run, Then buy them out at a much reduced price.

There has been a LOTS of snow this year, and I haven't seen any predictions for what will happen. The north end of the great salt lake was partially dammed off when they built a railroad crossing in the 50's creating a fresh water lake from the bear river flowing in. that portion got so high with all the snow melt they were cutting holes thru. If you plan on going check the condition often when it gets closer. . A few years ago rains a week before speedweek flooded it. The Utah Locals also have speed events check out Usfra

Yeah, I was on the website every day and they said nothing about the rain closure ahead of time, rolled in at 11 Sat morning from 850 miles away and was told at the gate.

IMG_0704.J
I did not get the type of photo's you might be looking for, was kinda busy, but lets see if these post.

Attachments

• old vot.pdf
    153.2 KB · Views: 31
  • team lft close.pdf
    128.8 KB · Views: 21
  • morning line up.pdf
    134.6 KB · Views: 17
  • team lft side.pdf
    132.9 KB · Views: 16

Attachments

• BIG G.JPG
    BIG G.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 26
  • big g1.JPG
    big g1.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 24
  • moose.jpg
    moose.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 26
  • oddrod.JPG
    oddrod.JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 27
  • oddrod2.JPG
    oddrod2.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 25
  • oddrod3.JPG
    oddrod3.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
A friend of mine, who owns a machine shop, and like to build things, built a Mercury car and took it to the saltflats; Steve Rutherford. He made it into Bangshift Magazine, with a record speed.

Attachments

• LSR-Zephyr.jpg Steve Rutherford.jpg
    LSR-Zephyr.jpg Steve Rutherford.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 23
Sorry, Guys, I thought I could bring over the Bangshift write-up too, but no.
Steve had built the car over the last year and driven it out his driveway and back for a test drive. So he took it down to speed week and went 156 mph with it, with the shifter malfunctioning on every pass.

Hey Mac? Looks like "Bukshy Racing" on the hood scoop.

Is this (or was this) his car?

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0118.JPG
    IMG_0118.JPG
    212.7 KB · Views: 46

Latest posts

Back