Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Undead Sleds... makin' old tin Undead every day! > Rat Rod & Hot Rod Talk

Rat Rod & Hot Rod Talk General discussion of car type stuff!

Old 10-11-2019, 10:22 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthman View Post
Thanks for sharing this Don. Depressing to hear about losing the BelleAire scene.

Yeah, it might seem silly and not that important, but Daytona is a big empty town at night, with not a lot to do. It was fun, driving into that shopping center, parking, and walking around looking at other people's cars and being able to just hang out, relaxing.

We also used to take lawn chairs and sit along A1A (the street that runs in front of the shopping center), with a cooler and just watch car after car drive by. We would be out there until late at night, with lots of people doing the same thing around us. Last year that stretch of road was like a ghost town.

To be honest, if it wasn't for enjoying the swap meet so much, I am not sure we would continue to go to this event, and we have been going for over 30 years.
Old 10-14-2019, 09:53 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Well, we have made a decision on what we are going to do for Turkey Run this year. We will not take our hot rods , but will ride up in Dan's pickup. And, while we are going, I am going to rent a U Haul trailer and take a bunch of unwanted parts to sell at the swap meet. I have my Austin Bantam drag body, frame, and running gear, plus a lot of other stuff that is just taking up space.

It works out pretty well, financially. If we just go in as spectators, it costs $15 each per day x 4 days x the 3 of us = $ 180.00. And, we have to park far away from the entrance to the show, and with my knee being iffy, I did not want to walk further than I needed to.

The swap meet spot cost me $ 150.00, plus an extra $55.00 for the 3rd person (two get in free when you rent a spot), so that comes to $ 205.00, and we can drive right into the swap meet and park there every day.

I do not plan on sitting with our items for sale all day, I want to shop myself, so we are going to chain stuff down, put a sign on it all with our phone number, and someone can call me if they are interested in anything. Selling the stuff is not as important to me as just being able to park inside, but if some stuff sells, all the better.

I can also put some lawn chairs there, and if my leg starts getting tired I can go back to our spot and chill for a while...……..maybe even with a cold brew !
Old 10-14-2019, 05:53 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Thanks for the update on Gastrick. Glad to hear he is doing well. Sounds like a good plan for the turkey run. I'm a swap meet junkie. and some day I'm going to make it to the turkey run.