how to figure final rearend gear ratio with 1.5 0D??

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skull

''SARCASM: just one of his many talents.''
how do figure final rearend gear ratio with 1.5 OD and a 3:O8 chevy rearend:confused:[S??

looked on line and can find a ton of everything but what l need.

math is not my strong point, any help would be very greatly appreciated.

Thank,

Later

thanks

sounds good[cl

with my turbo 4OO, second gear in town, good gas mileage with shrt tires on the freeway.

the V-drive l found is 1:5, that is why l was wondering.

thank you...

Later :cool:

wrong number

l called, they had it listed wrong, it is 15 percent over drive, that changes all the numbers, told them about the error in the listing so they put in the right number, so what would 15% be.

Since it's a V-drive, wouldn't you get the overdrive in every gear? So really it would be less like an overdrive and more like running a 2.61 rear gear in every transmission gear? In effect that would make it slower off the line in 1st as well. Just thinking out loud.

So if that's the case, you might want something like a 3.73 or 3.42 rear gear in order to have more of a compromise of final drive ratio.

ya, l thought too, just have to run around in 2nd gear all the time expect on the freeway, good for a toy, it should be 0K.

turbo 4OO is; 1st 2:48, 2nd 1:48 and of course 1:1 3rd

how does that affect final gears in 1st-2nd?

don't plan getting to crazy with it, that what the 30ish is for,

thanks everyone for the input:)

Echoing snopro's comments: You'll be 15% overdriven in every gear... so, your first gear ratio will drop to 2.10, second gear will drop to 1.25 and third gear to .85.

V-drives are not a two-speed device. If you engage the v-drive, you're fixed to the 15% over ratio. If you disengage the v-drive, you're spinning free in "neutral".

I hope this helps...

Will the V drive stand up to street use? Lots of difference in the pressure applied to turn a prop in water and to turn rubber on the street, even with the gear multiplication.

Will the V drive stand up to street use? Lots of difference in the pressure applied to turn a prop in water and to turn rubber on the street, even with the gear multiplication.

V drives have different shaft sizes depending on the series, but the strong ones hold up quite well to street use. Problems come in with abuse (wheelies and things like that), and with improper driveline angles. But that's the same as with anything.

I firmly believe a street driven car sees more abuse, wear and damaging cycles than any race car or vehicle used occasionally or recreationally.

I wouldn't be afraid to run a V drive, though I'd expect it will wear quicker than usual, like using heim ends and/or solid bushings in a suspension...

mellow

so, a warmed up 3OO hp SBC, turbo 4OO and drive it mellow.

same as the 1948 dodge, put a fairly stock 2OOR4 in her and has lasted many years now.

just no O to 6O blasts, burn outs or stupid stuff.

just use this common sense approach l should be fine.

Latest posts

Back