Roadster pickup build, take two.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's the weekend and Dan and I are both off on Friday and Saturday, so we are going to hit on this thing both days. I went to the local auto body shop supply house today and picked up body filler, 5 gallons of thinner, some body filler tools, and scuff pads. I could have gotten them cheaper on line, but I couldn't wait.

The game plan is, Dan still has a couple of small spots to weld up, then we are going to bodywork some of the little dents and boo boos, and then start priming and body filling the entire body.

There are two schools of thought on putting body filler on......one camp says put filler over bare metal, the other says epoxy prime first then fill. I was on the fence, but the guy at the supply store is an ex body man and he said to me "Do you want to keep this thing from ever rusting through the filler ?, if you do, prime it, scuff it, then apply your filler."

That convinced me, especially living in wet, humid Florida, so that is the plan. It certainly can't hurt to do it that way. Plus, the first coat of primer will prevent rusting while we are working on it, and until we get the final paint on it.

Hopefully, we might actually be able to shoot at least the underside of the body in primer by the end of Saturday night...…….we will see how that goes.

ok..., so, taking it slow went out the window...lol
I`m in the epoxy first camp for sure. Looking forward to see it in paint :cool:

Ah yes. The never ending debate. What came first. The chicken or the egg.:eek:[ddd
I've done it both ways(Epoxy and non epoxy) and never had problems with either.
I agree with you Don, that due to your particular weather conditions it isn't going to hurt to lay down the epoxy first.
I do it that way now because when it comes time to sell it(If ever) people seem to expect it to be done that way. And if it isn't they think the first time it gets rain on it everything is going to rust. crack and flake off.[ddd
Ah.... The power of the internet......:rolleyes:
[P [P [P
Torchie

Haha, well, I still feel Thanksgiving is out of reach, but we are going to keep working on it and if it happens, it happens. Stripping it down to bare metal kinda let me see it isn't all that far from being in paint, so maybe.....:D

Ah yes. The never ending debate. What came first. The chicken or the egg.:eek:[ddd
I've done it both ways(Epoxy and non epoxy) and never had problems with either.
I agree with you Don, that due to your particular weather conditions it isn't going to hurt to lay down the epoxy first.
I do it that way now because when it comes time to sell it(If ever) people seem to expect it to be done that way. And if it isn't they think the first time it gets rain on it everything is going to rust. crack and flake off.[ddd
Ah.... The power of the internet......:rolleyes:
[P [P [P
Torchie

Yep, whoever you talk to you get a different opinion on primer first or not. I guess, like everything else, we all have our opinions and ways of doing things.

While Dan is doing some final welding and bumping out some dents today, I think I am going to try to prime and maybe paint some of the white parts, like the dash, steering column, etc. They are not calling for any rain, so I should be able to get those shot, unless there are some other things I need to do when I get there.

He said he was going to slow down, not take a month off ;)

I don't think there's any harm in epoxy first, it's good peace of mind. I am really excited to see the body in finished paint, Don. Good thing your thanksgiving is later, ours is in 2 weeks! :eek:

Huh, I didn't know you had Thanksgiving in Canada. Very interesting ! :cool:

Well, we got a little done today, I got a bunch of parts that will be painted Wimbledon White stripped to bare metal and hung up for spraying. Dan got some of the welding done, and then he cut his finger on the bandsaw, cutting a small piece of metal for a patch ! :eek:

It is cut, but we came home and he soaked it in peroxide, and bandaged it. I think it looks worse than it is, no stitches needed, just time to heal. So, that ended today's work. I think he will be ok, just scared him more than anything. It could have been really bad, the piece grabbed and sucked his finger into the blade.

Tomorrow I am going to go and get the parts I got cleaned primed and hopefully painted white. This is my last weekend for a while, I go back to work full time next week and am scheduled for Tuesday through Saturday.

Golf is looking better every day ! :D

While Dan was letting his finger heal today, I went to the shop and got the final pieces ready to paint. I primed everything with epoxy primer, waited an hour, and then shot two coats of Wimbledon White onto everything. I was really impressed with how the Kirker brand paint sprayed and laid out. It also covers very well, even on the first coat.

I have decided NOT to smoke the dash because it actually looks good like this, and also, if I screw it up, I would have to strip it all down and start over. :eek:

I am pretty happy with the results, the only white thing left to do now is the firewall, and I will do that last, after the body is all painted. Feels good to be finally getting some paint on stuff.:D

Now, when the dash is really dry, I can install the gauges and lights and wire it all up for the final time. Same with the underdash switch panel.

Attachments

• IMG_3961.jpg
    IMG_3961.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3962.jpg
    IMG_3962.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3963.jpg
    IMG_3963.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3965.jpg
    IMG_3965.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3968.jpg
    IMG_3968.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 24
I'm glad Dan's finger wasn't more serious. Hopefully he heals fast without issue. I needed 5 stitches in my thumb last year from a hedge trimmer, so I know the feeling.

That Wimbledon White looks like it has a bit of a yellow/ivory tone in photos, is that accurate?

It's looking really good, seeing it painted I'm glad you decided not to smoke the dash. Sometimes simpler is better, and you already have a lot of great detail in this build.

I'm glad Dan's finger wasn't more serious. Hopefully he heals fast without issue. I needed 5 stitches in my thumb last year from a hedge trimmer, so I know the feeling.

That Wimbledon White looks like it has a bit of a yellow/ivory tone in photos, is that accurate?

It's looking really good, seeing it painted I'm glad you decided not to smoke the dash. Sometimes simpler is better, and you already have a lot of great detail in this build.

Thanks for asking. He seems to be ok, I think he got lucky and was more scared than anything. The next few days should show how well it is healing.

You are right, that white is more of an off white, sort of a creamy white. It is a very close match for the off white I had the suspension powder coated in. I agree about not smoking the dash, it looked too good after spraying it to mess it up, and since I had never done smoking, there was the potential to goof it up. :eek:

Thanks again.

Thanks for asking. He seems to be ok, I think he got lucky and was more scared than anything. The next few days should show how well it is healing.

Don, I cut my finger really bad on a water hose clamp & it bled forever. Afterwards... was hard to keep the wound closed for it to heal until my wife got me some liquid bandage... basically super glue for your body! Worked like a charm & helped heal so much faster.. I swear by the stuff!

BoB

Don, I cut my finger really bad on a water hose clamp & it bled forever. Afterwards... was hard to keep the wound closed for it to heal until my wife got me some liquid bandage... basically super glue for your body! Worked like a charm & helped heal so much faster.. I swear by the stuff!

BoB

Yep, Bob, I have a bottle in my medicine chest and suggested it to Dan, but he has to be careful. He is diabetic and any cut can be bad, so he has to keep watching it until it heals.

But you are right, I use the liquid bandage all the time, it also seems to seal the wound and it heals quicker. Burns like mad when you first apply it, but then it is ok.

[cl

I have questions Mr. Wimble Don, sir... where's all the overspray? Why isn't the floor Wimble Don white? Do you have some kind of spray booth?

No booth, I shot it out in our parking lot, in front of the garage door. The wind was blowing pretty good, and the overspray went with it. It was a perfect, bug free day to be painting.

The pictures you see are after we moved the parts back into the shop. Wish I did have a booth.:(

Thanks, Don. Will you paint the body outdoors as well?

Yeah, so far we have painted Dans RPU out there, my 27 (the first time, until that idiot ran into the back of it, then the body shop did it), and also a bunch of suspension and other parts outside.

Not ideal, but if you pick the day/night, and it is dry and a slight breeze, it works out ok. Catalyzed paint seems to dry so quickly too, so that helps no dirt or bugs sticking to it.

Would love to have a booth, but we only paint a car every few years (or in this case, we haven't painted one in probably 8-10 years) so it isn't worth it.

Latest posts

Back