Bonehead is back to work

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did a little more on the top today, and will hit it again tomarrow. I am starting to fill in all those cuts I had to make when I dropped the top. I used a jack to move the post, and hold it there while I stitched it up.

P9270082.jpg

Got a little more done today. I cut the top off again. Wow, there is something you don't see in a build thread very often. With the top off I am capping the windshield frame, and the rear of the cab. My thoughts are to make copies of the two surfaces and clamp them together, and then put the roof back one one more time to fine tune the fit. I am really tired of this part of the build, because I want to see major progress. But I know parts of this will drag along.
P9290002.jpg

P9290004.jpg

P9290006.jpg

The caps are sharp

Your caps are going alot faster than mine did and alot cleaner. Still working on getting my welding down, so I burn up a grinder about every 3 weeks

Know that one

Half the reason I did the chop on my 51 was because I was thing about a removable hard top. After I got the top off I got stumped on how to clean up the upper part of the door frame. Found out real quick I was in over my head. Then I found RRR, but still not going removable. Can't wait to see how you bring it all together.

Looks like you are avoiding any warping and distortion. Are you MIG welding? Using 18 gauge sheet metal? Are there threaded inserts in the 4 holes in the windshield cap?
Your photos are very instructional. THanks for the detail shots. More first class work from the Bonehead.

Looks like you are avoiding any warping and distortion. Are you MIG welding? Using 18 gauge sheet metal? Are there threaded inserts in the 4 holes in the windshield cap?
Your photos are very instructional. THanks for the detail shots. More first class work from the Bonehead.

I am going to use a clamp to hold the roof down when I am done, I am thinking of the ones on my pop-up camper. So the holes will have allignment pins in them. I have a little warping, because I have no patience. oh, I know better, but I just heat it up anyway:rolleyes:.
I am using 1/8 where I can, and that way when I weld the thinner metal there is a place for me to send the heat while I am welding. [;)

I'm guessing with the removable top that you will attach the top of the door pieces to the top, right?
man it's looking good.............[P

Yes, there will be the door tops attached to the roof, but it is the best way I have found so far to make this all look right. And thanks, it helps knowing you guys are digging it.:)

Hey, had not noticed the bottle opener on the back of the Chevy!! love it! Got one on the side of my welding rig where the torch hoses roll up. It usually starts some good conversation.[ddev

very cool build bonehead. ive been watching it since day one.

i thought about the door tops and have this vison of someone installing glass into them and not rolling it down before they open the door. i wonder if you had a locating pin in one corner and a recessed 1/2" bolt in the center of the very top posts, threaded into the bottom to tie it together. that should hold it tight and keep it from shaking.

Latest posts

Back