Sheets & Giggles

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here I am trying on my sexy new pajamas that I picked up today. Very warm. Slightly heavier than my winter parka. To be worn only on balmy summer days.

SFI spec 3.2A/15 which gives me 30 seconds of protection from 2nd degree burns in the event of crossing the finish line upside down and on fire.

Along with a very strong wish that I never have the opportunity to test their effectiveness.

Attachments

• IMG_1186.jpg
    IMG_1186.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 31
Very spiffy. Good to have the fire protection even if you roast a bit in it.

I had to buy a new helmet and it has so much padding I can hardly get my head in it. My ears fold over and it pushes my cheeks in so much I can't stop drooling.

Helmets are kind of important. :D My ex-father-in-law used to say, "What is your head worth?" when asked about what helmet to buy. I guess they are made tighter these days for a reason.

Helmets are kind of important. :D My ex-father-in-law used to say, "What is your head worth?" when asked about what helmet to buy. I guess they are made tighter these days for a reason.

It does fit snug but I'm also wearing a headsock under it which adds to the effect. As to what it's worth, the pants, jacket, gloves, socks, shoes, headsock, arm tethers and helmet came to about $2300 Cdn. Also made a deal for a 10 lb cold fire system that I will be adding to the car.

It's alive!!!

The first fire up! or, How to wake up the neighbors. :D

https://youtu.be/qjazDOSJ4Yo

Some minor fuel leaks and a leaking water pump prevented me from taking it for a drive but those can be easily fixed. Can't say how pumped up I am right now. The alarm at the end of the video is my wife's car ... bwahahaha!

Congrats! [cl

Seems to me, your idle speed is really high... not to criticize... far from it, just an observation...

You're right ... I have the butterflies set at .010 and the barrel valve leak down set at 50% as a starting point. I think I should reset it to about 60% to fatten it up and drop the idle some. The static timing on the mag is set at 32* but I didn't have a chance to confirm it with a timing light. Autolite 3910 plugs are gapped at .018. Hat nozzles are .046 and main pill is .070. 80a 7gpm pump. 671 blower is running at 10% over. Your thoughts on the tuneup will be appreciated.

The fuel leaks prevented any adjustments today since I didn't want to test the fire suppression system I installed. Once I get the rebuild kit for the shut off valve I'll be able to try again and make some adjustments.

Last edited:
Those blown small blocks sure sound crisp and have great throttle response. In July I'll be standing next to when you warm it up.[cl

You're right ... I have the butterflies set at .010 and the barrel valve leak down set at 50% as a starting point. I think I should reset it to about 60% to fatten it up and drop the idle some. The static timing on the mag is set at 32* but I didn't have a chance to confirm it with a timing light. Autolite 3910 plugs are gapped at .018. Hat nozzles are .046 and main pill is .070. 80a 7gpm pump. 671 blower is running at 10% over. Your thoughts on the tuneup will be appreciated.

The fuel leaks prevented any adjustments today since I didn't want to test the fire suppression system I installed. Once I get the rebuild kit for the shut off valve I'll be able to try again and make some adjustments.

Fuel leaks first, absolutely!

I have never tuned a blown alcohol combination, but I agree, you should increase the leak down % and leave the butterflies at .010.

I would adjust the barrel valve linkage until it idles well and once you're happy, pull out you gauge and measure your new leak down %, which should put you something in the neighborhood of 60 - 75%. (You can't hurt it at idle and the barrel valve setting is the only way to increase or decrease idle mixture, but I'm sure you know this.)

I wish I could offer more. My experience is nearly 20 years behind me and on an entirely different animal burning nitro. (I've forgotten more than I knew then and I doubt any of that will come back to me tonight.)

I read back in this thread and see you know Scott McVey. I would pick his brain, or Ken Sitco in Edmonton... either of those fellas can direct you much better than I...

Fuel leaks first, absolutely!

I read back in this thread and see you know Scott McVey. I would pick his brain, or Ken Sitco in Edmonton... either of those fellas can direct you much better than I...

Thanks for your comments Doc. I don't know Ken Sitco, but Scotty is a close friend of 20+ years ... I could tell you stories :D [ddd :eek: .... but I digress.

Your comments closely match what I was already thinking. As to jets and nozzles, I won't know to much until I read the plugs after a couple of runs. What I have should be on the safe side. Be nice if I could run some egt's but these "nostalgia" guys frown on that sort of thing. :) I think they would go out of their collective minds if I tried to use a data logger (like the one I have sitting in a box). But it does make tuning a bit more of a "I used to know how to do this" exercise.

Latest posts

Back