Torque Converter

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I-R-POPS

''Rusty Mopar Slacker''
If you remove the balance weights from a externally balanced converter, is it then a neutral balance? I'm setting it up to run the engine on a stand with an empty A518 transmission housing because the starter is mounted on the housing. Will this work? Or am I dreaming?

My new engine is internally balanced and I have this converter but it is externally balanced.

Any one help a brother out?

Toby.......are you out there?

I guess I'll just try it and see what happens. It won't take long to figure it out when the engine starts. It will either vibrate or not.

I'm going to cut the torque converter open on the lathe and gut it, then weld it back up so all I'll have is the outer housing supported on both ends between the engine and the empty transmission case. Sounds like a perfectly good idea in my pea brain.

I think you're right Pops. I remember reading something a long time ago about building a 383 Chevy stroker and IIRC they knocked the weights off the flexplate since the engine was internally balanced.

I've done both.
Took the counter balance off a 400 flexplate for a 350.
Then used the counter balance welded in a flywheel for a 400.
Both worked fine.

I think you're right Pops. I remember reading something a long time ago about building a 383 Chevy stroker and IIRC they knocked the weights off the flexplate since the engine was internally balanced.

It makes sense to me that it would work. I can't see any difference other than the weight.

Cut, gut and weld? [S

Take the weights off and run it!

My thoughts on gutting the converter to test run the engine is I'm afraid it would build to much heat with no lubrication for the innards of the the converter. It would sure be easier if I had a flywheel and a bell housing to run it.

I've done both.
Took the counter balance off a 400 flexplate for a 350.
Then used the counter balance welded in a flywheel for a 400.
Both worked fine.

Thanks for the info. When I get ready to install the engine I'll just order a 2500 stall converter for a internally balanced 360.

running that gutted converter may last a minute or two,

and then the front bearing in the pump will fail,

as it will run dry and melt itself to the pump drive on the converter.

If the flexplate has the starter ring gear on it, you'll only need it and the tranny case to test run the engine.
Since the tranny is gutted and no front pump, if you have to run the gutted converter it won't hurt anything.

If the flexplate has the starter ring gear on it, you'll only need it and the tranny case to test run the engine.
Since the tranny is gutted and no front pump, if you have to run the gutted converter it won't hurt anything.

It would be nice if the flex ring had the gear on it. It's on the converter.
I thought about cutting the converter and just bolting the half with th ring gear on it to the flex plate. But the flex plate is so Light I'm afraid the torque of the starter would tweak it. Nothing is easy in my world.

Latest posts

Back