Posi (yes or No)

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DozerII

I have been considering changing out the gear ratio/ center section in the for 9" in the Essex. It currently has 279 gears and no posi and is a little bit of a dog off the line. I would like to change to 350 or 373 gears and a posi, but I have been told by two guys that have gone there before, that the posi unit on such a light car will cause me grief for cornering, and will be almost impossible on gravel. Any of you have some advice for me
[S
Thanks

That might be the case with a locker but I've always run posi & never had any such trouble. 3.73, posi & OD auto is my fav combo!

BoB

If you want good traction, posi is your best friend! That's not to say there isn't a little scrubbing going on but it's negligible and the advantages are awesome IMO!

Toad

What they said for sure[cl
would love to have one for the sprint, if only for two wheel burnouts, but i'm to cheap to pay what their getting/asking for them :eek:

I have the same non posi 279 gearset in my Hennway and yes, it's no screamer off the line though big block torque helps out and mileage is pretty good.
In my opinion, a posi is a bit of a waste with the 279 gears anyway.
You wouldn't be sorry going for the lower 350 or 373's with the posi, c'mon, who doesn't like doing donuts and proper 2 wheel burnouts??

If the front end starts to skid, a little more throttle will bring the rear around for ya [ddd

:D that why I need the lower gears if I go posi:D

I have the same non posi 279 gearset in my Hennway and yes, it's no screamer off the line though big block torque helps out and mileage is pretty good.
In my opinion, a posi is a bit of a waste with the 279 gears anyway.
You wouldn't be sorry going for the lower 350 or 373's with the posi, c'mon, who doesn't like doing donuts and proper 2 wheel burnouts??

Thanks ZZ, your comment is spot on, I get great mileage, am too chicken to find out what top end is :rolleyes: If I can find a posi it will be in the 350-373 ratio.

Latest posts

Back