53 New Yorker frame swap ideas?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmlcolorado

Hey guys. Picked up 2 New Yorkers. 1 is a parts car the other is mostly complete.
The goal is to make a nice reliable family cruiser that'll fit all 5 of us and still be able to pick up groceries. I got the size of the car right at least.
I've been searching for parts on these things and they're scarce. I'd like to static drop it a little but am coming up empty on aftermarket suspension parts.
I'd like to keep the hemi, but at the same time, don't want to drop $10k into it o make it move well.
I'm thinking a modern chassis swap might be the right route.
Any ideas on a more modern body on frame molar vehicle to use for this? Looking for a power plant that is more mainstream and has aftermarket parts available that are cost effective.
I know folks use the crown Vic pretty frequently, but I kind of want to try to keep matching brands at the least here.
I do have an 03 avalanche with a 5.3 that I was saving for a turbo project....... but not sure I want to use that engine in this project.
I'm open to other ideas as well. Seems I have a case of builders block :rolleyes:[P

I think most all Mopars have been unit bodies since the 60's. Crown Vic or Caprice were last body on frame cars I think.

Also look at early to mid 80's GM full size RWD cadillac, Olds 88/98, Buick LeSabre/Electra, etc. they are often a good fit under 50's cars.

Never a fan of this. Chassis swaps turn into abandoned Craigslist projects. A front clip is feasible, but by the time you go through all the headache AND buying parts to rebuild a junkyard front end you could have bought a MII and been done. Leave it on the stock chassis - The holes even line up, ;)

That being said, if you insist on it then look at the GM G-body chassis. Cheap, plentiful, tons of aftermarket support, and they ride great. No reason to replace a leaf sprung chassis with what is essentially the same thing.

I originally wrote that tutorial, then it was amended by several other members.

jml, I might be lookin' at a Dodge Dakota, 1st Gen, '96 or earlier. There is some dissimilarity in the track widths that would make you get creative with wheel widths and backsets, but if you would like a frame to put under the New Yorker, it might be one of the choices that I would consider. '91 to '96 was available with an "LA" V8, so any 273, 318, 340, or 360 would bolt in. There is a stroker kit for the 360 that makes it into a 408, so there's your low end torque for pullin' hills and such. If you kept the cam close to stock, you could also pop for an overdrive transmission combined with a ~3.50 differential gear for excellent acceleration as well as superb fuel mileage.

The New Yorker is 125.5" wheelbase, with a 56.312" front track and 59.625" rear track.

'91-'96 Dakota extended cab, long bed is 130.9" wheelbase with a 60.8" track width front and rear, so the Dakota would need to have the frame shortened by 5.4 inches. You might want to do a real close visual inspection of the Chrysler in side view, as sometimes the factory placement of body to wheels can be improved a little with a little shorter or longer wheelbase. It's all in the "eyeball".

I LOVE ANYTHING THAT TURNS MONEY INTO NOISE.

I originally wrote that tutorial, then it was amended by several other members.

jml, I might be lookin' at a Dodge Dakota, 1st Gen, '96 or earlier. There is some dissimilarity in the track widths that would make you get creative with wheel widths and backsets, but if you would like a frame to put under the New Yorker, it might be one of the choices that I would consider. '91 to '96 was available with an "LA" V8, so any 273, 318, 340, or 360 would bolt in. There is a stroker kit for the 360 that makes it into a 408, so there's your low end torque for pullin' hills and such. If you kept the cam close to stock, you could also pop for an overdrive transmission combined with a ~3.50 differential gear for excellent acceleration as well as superb fuel mileage.

The New Yorker is 125.5" wheelbase, with a 56.312" front track and 59.625" rear track.

'91-'96 Dakota extended cab, long bed is 130.9" wheelbase with a 60.8" track width front and rear, so the Dakota would need to have the frame shortened by 5.4 inches. You might want to do a real close visual inspection of the Chrysler in side view, as sometimes the factory placement of body to wheels can be improved a little with a little shorter or longer wheelbase. It's all in the "eyeball".

I LOVE ANYTHING THAT TURNS MONEY INTO NOISE.

Dang!!!
Great info! I appreciate this!

Ah, yes, the dilemma to have a car that looks old but doesn't drive old. If you have one that's complete and will run, you might try just getting it on the road. The charm of driving an old survivor might surprise you. Those old boats are like riding on a cloud.

Latest posts

Back