post war style t bucket

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plaintoast

Been reading for a while and never posted, but with the new(ish?) section, I've got something that fits in. We're currently building a post war style t bucket, I've already got the 8rt flathead and its almost done with machine work, be going to assembly soon. Saw rear suspension like this on an old Buick touring car and thought it was cool, so we decided to replicate it on this one. Suicide front, flimsy original steel body that will need lots of reinforcement. Hoping to be driving by spring.
IMG_20141108_181455890_zpsyptvjkvg.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Great looking project. (and your helper is studying Jackology)
I love that old buick rear suspension also. Kind of a full spring, quarter elliptical.

I agree with Bonehead. Nice ride. I am a fan of unusual suspensions so your Buick style leaf springs is especially cool.

Thanks, here's a couple shots of the rear suspension. Since nobody makes parts, we have made everything, luckily I own a machine shop so that helps!
IMG_20141108_181555991_zpsvae0hggr.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_20141124_101904101_zpss5df1t71.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Built a drag link and decided to start fitting the motor and trans, somewhere in this area I figured.
IMG_20141128_141054314_zpshyczrhl8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Made some motor mounts, the tripod deal is sort of a signature feature we do on motor mounts. Trans mount is in and motor and trans back out, now on to the tedious body work.
IMG_20141129_133254122_zpsxiokth3d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Finally getting back to it a little after the holidays. Unfortunately (for car progress anyhow) this is now my busy season in the shop so finding time gets tough. Since the body was just a pile of sheet metal, we started building and installing a 1" tube structure inside the body to give it some structure.
IMG_20150110_152816390_zpsponlqrgy.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

cool build[dr, but that body looks to be a late teens dodge. this is a 1919 in the pic.

Attachments

• all150.jpg
    all150.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 34
nothing wrong with it either. i have seen the dodge buckets built just like the t's. i think i read somewhere the same company built the bodies for both dodge and ford.

If you're referring to the watts link, no it pivots as the suspension travels. With the leaf springs the way they are I'm not even sure I needed it, but they look cool.

if you have the room the watts link is the way to go. it keeps the rearend centered better then the panhard bar does.

Been a while since doing any updates. Got sidetracked and still am with my main business, but we're trying to hammer this out before a big car show next month. Still haven't found time to assemble the engine, but got the correct trans, and clutch is out being relined now.
IMG_20150404_161640621_zpsq0rydhex.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Had to fab up the entire rear panel, but that's done and gas tank is mounted now.
IMG_20150329_123146387_zpsjgifejc6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Tons of wiring and brake parts coming in this week, so this weekend its that fun coming. Need to get the windshield frame dropped off and have glass cut asap. Temp tags are now ready, we're getting close now.

Latest posts

Back