Bug to Butterfly

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It doesn't matter what we do to keep out kids occupied and out of trouble when they are growing up, it's expensive. But you usually know where they are, who they're with and what they're doing so it's worth every penny.

We had three kids and kept them occupied in 4-H, High School Rodeo and College Rodeo. One son was a calf roper=at least 2 high priced horses all the time and practice calves to rope. Daughter was a barrel racer= 2 more higher priced horses. And our other son was a bareback rider and a bull rider= always hurt and been to every ER in the state of New Mexico I think and a couple in Texas.

And the pay off is those precious Grand Kids that you get to spoil and send home with their parents. We have 8 of them.

It doesn't matter what we do to keep out kids occupied and out of trouble when they are growing up, it's expensive. But you usually know where they are, who they're with and what they're doing so it's worth every penny.

We had three kids and kept them occupied in 4-H, High School Rodeo and College Rodeo. One son was a calf roper=at least 2 high priced horses all the time and practice calves to rope. Daughter was a barrel racer= 2 more higher priced horses. And our other son was a bareback rider and a bull rider= always hurt and been to every ER in the state of New Mexico I think and a couple in Texas.

And the pay off is those precious Grand Kids that you get to spoil and send home with their parents. We have 8 of them.

You're absolutely right Pops - worth every penny. I count my blessings that my girls turned out to be honest and honorable people. The drag racing taught them several important life lessons - determination, concentration, how to win gracefully, and how to lose honorably and come back to try again. I am very proud of them.

You're absolutely right Pops - worth every penny. I count my blessings that my girls turned out to be honest and honorable people. The drag racing taught them several important life lessons - determination, concentration, how to win gracefully, and how to lose honorably and come back to try again. I am very proud of them.

[cl[cl[cl

My steering wheel arrived - finally. But not exactly the one I ordered. :eek: Oh well, it fits and it will work. Anyway, that got me working at making and welding in the structure to support the steering column at the floor and mounting my column drop. I was then able to finish up the
steering u-joints and intermediate shaft. Haven't decided yet if I'm going to weld in the bracket for the intermediate shaft support or do a boilt in bracket. But, the car steers now!!! :)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

With that out of the way it was time to fabricate the mounting brackets for the seats and get them bolted in. I did a wedge shaped bracket 4" at front and 3" at rear to clear the bumps in the floor and to position the seat for a little more thigh support. The result is very comfortable - just had to go for a "cruze". Even the "boss" got into the act! Zoom Zoom! Its starting to resemble a car! :D

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2264.jpg
    IMG_2264.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2265.jpg
    IMG_2265.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2282.jpg
    IMG_2282.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2268.jpg
    IMG_2268.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2275.jpg
    IMG_2275.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2279.jpg
    IMG_2279.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2273.jpg
    IMG_2273.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 30
Very nice work Larry. A question? Where's the hair?:D

Cute back up girl.[cl

The hair wound up on the kitchen floor - the "back up girl" hacked if off. Actually after 5 years without a haircut I just got tired of it and with the covid thing I couldn't go to a barber to get it tidied up a bit so Arlene got carried away with the clippers.

A huge piece of the puzzle fell into place for me today. Local fellow (previously unknown to me) advertised a set of headers for sale. He was kind enough to bring them out to allow me to test fit them. They fit like they were designed for the car! Needless to say they are mine now!

attachment.php

attachment.php

And then the postman delivered the wiring kit I had ordered. What a great start to the week!

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2284.jpg
    IMG_2284.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_2283.jpg
    IMG_2283.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2287.jpg
    IMG_2287.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 45
The butterfly is lookin' good. Nice fit.

I'll reserve judgement on anyone that cuts off a five year growth of hair. I do worry at times about getting mine caught up in something going roundy-round. :eek: Creeper wheels are just annoying... :D

The headers look like they were made for this car![cl
I was going to ask why you needed the steady bearing on the steering shaft but then saw that it's because of the double joint. Was the angle too severe to go with a single joint? Whatever - the whole build is really coming together great, you'll be tearing up the road in no time [P[P

The major question of our times - do I go with round door mirrors or rectangular? Choices, choices, choices! Anyway, a little progress this week ... filled all the holes in the dash and now I have a clean canvas for gauges, switches and radio. Just have to decide what I'm going to use and where I'm going to put it all. I did decide where the shifter is going to go though - hooray, one decision made. LOL!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2309.jpg
    IMG_2309.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2315.jpg
    IMG_2315.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2310.jpg
    IMG_2310.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2313.jpg
    IMG_2313.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2319.jpg
    IMG_2319.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 33
I vote for round.( Not that you asked.:p)
Too many curves to go with the square.
Good progress. This little beast is really shaping up.
[P [P [P
Torchie

Latest posts

Back