Bertha

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Burnt in the lower bag mounts for the front last night. Got out the old stick welder to do it. Guess I am a little rusty at that..... [S Dang sure it aint comin apart though!!! Hopefully get the upper mounts done this weekend.

I have to admit that looks weird but i got faith in you Nev. :D[P

Glad some one does!!! If you see it up close it really isn't that weird I promise you. It looks narrow in the pictures but it isn't when you compare that with what it was. Once the cross member is all modified and stuff it will be fine.

Had a Box-o-parts sitting at home when I got there Tuesday. Hopefully Monday and Tuesday I have good stuff to report. Working this weekend so there won't be any progress.

Not much done over the last few days due to all the snow. Spent time trying to get my old fireball snowmobile running again. Was at least successful in that, well to a point.

Did get some more shaping done on the cross member to open that up, got the drivers side upper bag mount done just need to install. Need to do some more cutting and shaping, but ran out of acetylene. So probably wont get anything else done until I get that refilled. Put on the new motor mounts, but need to build stuff for those to attach to. Don't want to get too crazy with doing that yet, I think I want to have the back done before I mount up the motor.

One upper bag mount done and tacked in. Other one built not installed....

This snow has been making it slow going. Not much time to do things at night.

Don't think it's over, west coast is sending another one, sorry [S

Not scared. This is Michigan we are used to it. Our seasons are Almost Winter, Winter, Still Winter, and construction.

Did score a free set of 4" drop spindles!! Even come with free installation! Just gotta wait for my buddy to go get the truck they are on and we are in business there!!!

I can proudly say now the car is back to being able to hold it's own weight in the front end. Tacked in the other bag mount last night and bolted in the bags. Just slipped on the hose and blew a little air in. Going to work out great I think. Need to do some grinding and clean up. Going to heat and bend the brackets a little to get some better welds on it. Other than that I am liking it!!!

Sorry bud, not much to take pictures for that. As soon as I get some other stuff done with it I will take some pics. I didn't even have the hoses clamped on so it was leaking air about as fast as I could put it in.... lol Besides it was still 9on the lift and dollies and the back isn't done yet. Looks kind of funny the front drops and the back sits. Once I take the control arms off and finish the cuts and welds I will put some pictures up. Want to get the motor mounts in place before I do that though. Hopefully this week.

Motor mounted. Need to pull the motor back out to clean some stuff up on the mounts. Started lining up the steering column so I can build mounts for that under the dash. And since I felt like it I started lining the front tin back up and doing some patch work.

IMG_20150216_173721_866_zpsgm1inxed.jpg

IMG_20150216_203238_705_zpscfucctpi.jpg

IMG_20150217_143734_360_zpsk5woudow.jpg

Not too sure about the column location. Wheel looks a bit far from the dash but it is actually closer than the original is. I dunno..... I shortened the tube 4" to put it where it is but not sure it looks right that far out. Thoughts??

IMG_20150216_203238_705_zpscfucctpi.jpg

Not too sure about the column location. Wheel looks a bit far from the dash but it is actually closer than the original is. I dunno..... I shortened the tube 4" to put it where it is but not sure it looks right that far out. Thoughts??

How does it feel from the drivers seat? If it feels good and is functional...it is in the right spot.

At first glance, it looks like it needs to go up into the dash a little. How is clearance with the brake pedal?

How does it feel from the drivers seat? If it feels good and is functional...it is in the right spot.

At first glance, it looks like it needs to go up into the dash a little. How is clearance with the brake pedal?

Agree with Flipper. Comfort and driveability are paramount.
People forget how far from the dashboard the steering wheels on these old cars really are. On a modern car that wheel would be back to where the coupler for the tilt section is located so perhaps that is throwing it off visually.
You are making great progress ND.[cl
Torchie.

In that picture it is actually dangling there by a zip tie..... so it will be higher. Just needed to get started on that so I would have a reference....

Agree with Flipper. Comfort and driveability are paramount.
People forget how far from the dashboard the steering wheels on these old cars really are. On a modern car that wheel would be back to where the coupler for the tilt section is located so perhaps that is throwing it off visually.
You are making great progress ND.[cl
Torchie.

I think that is my issue with being able to see it. It looks very far out but in reality it is not.

And thanks for the compliment Torchie!!! :D

I pushed the column as far away from the seat as I could and still let the shifter work. It is a squeaker between the steering wheel and the dash with the wheel tilted all the way up, but I gained the space I needed for my keg.

Attachments

• PA150771.jpg
    PA150771.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 20

Latest posts

Back