Shifters

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vht

What is a good shifter for a 400 turbo? I'm going to be running a bench seat, and my wife is going to be driving it so I want something easy to operate. Is there anything besides Lokar?

Ford used the same T style handle for several years in different cars, Mustangs, Mavericks, Pintos, etc. Real simple shifter, easy to mount and use.

I had some pretty decent luck out of teh Mr.Gasket/Spectre one in my tuck.... it gets teh job done and you can adjust how much throw you have in your gear change and it has a park lock out feature...

I much prefer Gennie Shifters over Lokar. Nicer looking, easier install and you don't have that goofy button...

I'm just the opposite. I get rid of the button on top by mounting a bigger knob with an adapter, then I just put my hand on top and push straight down.

My Son has a Gennie in his rpu and when I drive it I find it a little hard to find the gears. But it all comes down to personal preference, a lot of people say they like the Gennie better.

Don

I much prefer Gennie Shifters over Lokar. Nicer looking, easier install and you don't have that goofy button...

I prefer Gennie's too but last time I bought one they were pretty slow filling my order! I mean really... shifter for a TH400 should just be in stock... right?!? [S

The one benefit to Lokar & Don can correct me if I'm wrong... the button on top is supposed to keep it from accidentally shifting out of gear to neutral or reverse.

BoB

Bob, I think at some point in the recent past Gennie went out of business and some distributor of theirs bought up the rights and started building them. That might be why the delays. As I recall, for a while it was impossible to get Gennies or the parts for them.

As for that button on top, yep, it is there so you have to depress it to shift out of park or into gear. The adapter makes it possible to put another knob, without the button, on the shifter, and you simply put your palm on top and shove down to shift.

But they are a little tricky to adjust correctly and just a slight adjustment can mean the difference between going into gear and not. I was traveling on the interstate at 70 mph one time and heard a car revving up near me......it was my car, it had dropped down from 3rd to 2nd on a hard bump in the road ! :eek:

Don

Bob, I think at some point in the recent past Gennie went out of business and some distributor of theirs bought up the rights and started building them. That might be why the delays. As I recall, for a while it was impossible to get Gennies or the parts for them.

As for that button on top, yep, it is there so you have to depress it to shift out of park or into gear. The adapter makes it possible to put another knob, without the button, on the shifter, and you simply put your palm on top and shove down to shift.

But they are a little tricky to adjust correctly and just a slight adjustment can mean the difference between going into gear and not. I was traveling on the interstate at 70 mph one time and heard a car revving up near me......it was my car, it had dropped down from 3rd to 2nd on a hard bump in the road ! :eek:

Don

Yeah, I had that happen with my Lokar. I am running the adapter also and have learned that you can't run a heavy knob with a tall shifter, it tends to shift down on hard bumps that way.

My favorite shifter is this one

I hope to get one of these from kilduff machine one day.
Looks like it would be a lot of fun .
They sell the shifter with cables and brackets for about same as a used lightning rod would cost without cables.[dr

Attachments

• 1373872057697-1239581659.jpeg
    1373872057697-1239581659.jpeg
    83 KB · Views: 10
I found a box that I thought I had tossed, opened it up, and TWO auto shifters in there! One is a B&M t-bone and the other is a Hurst. Good old stuff from the OLD days !!! :D

I have plans for BOTH of them ... ;)

Latest posts

Back