700r4 trouble shooting

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzz

Livin' the rat roddin' lifestyle
Got the Studebaker on the road and first thing I had to do was adjust the detent cable. Read all the tricks and tips so making a few adjustments the trans seems to shift good [firm] except going into 4th. I understand a stock 700r4 don't shift firm into 4th, mine is stock. But it won't shift to 4th until my speed is close to 60 or more. If I run up to 50 and let off the gas it will shift to 4th.. Or put in neutral then back into gear it will shift. Also when I first backed out of the garage it acted like the brakes were on but when I put it in neutral it rolled back easy. Seems like the trans is trying to go into reverse and a forward gear at the same time. Make things more confusing, it doesn't do it every time I back up. Any ideas?

How is the cable adjusted currently? If not adjusted correctly it will junk it real fast.

The 700's are really supposed to be set with a pressure gauge.
That said I never have.
1. 55 mph is about right. Under light to medium pressure.
Move the cable 1 to 2 notches forward until you get this set.
21Willys is right about trashin one if the cable isn't set correctly.
A good tranny shop will set this for a few bucks. (recommended)

The 700's are really supposed to be set with a pressure gauge.
That said I never have.
1. 55 mph is about right. Under light to medium pressure.
Move the cable 1 to 2 notches forward until you get this set.
21Willys is right about trashin one if the cable isn't set correctly.
A good tranny shop will set this for a few bucks. (recommended)

Old Iron..there isn't a good trans shop within 50 miles. A friend rebuilt this 700r4 and also did a 350 & a powerglide they worked fine. Guess I'll have to keep experimenting with this thing.
Thanks.

Sent last 2 hours fine tuning my trans, I think I got it right now. It shifts firm thru all the gears, 4th has a nice firm feel to it.
Here's couple pics of the Car and my home made bracket for the detent cable.

Attachments

• 40 stoodybaker 006 (Small).jpg
    40 stoodybaker 006 (Small).jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 40 stoodybaker 008 (Small).jpg
    40 stoodybaker 008 (Small).jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 40 stoodybaker 009 (Small).jpg
    40 stoodybaker 009 (Small).jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 40 stoodybaker 011 (Small).jpg
    40 stoodybaker 011 (Small).jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 40 stoodybaker 012 (Small).jpg
    40 stoodybaker 012 (Small).jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 19
Glad you got it worked out, Fuzz. I recognize that car.

You know they are extremely rare?...lol .wish I new if it was a Commander or what? Been sanding [I hate sanding] to get the loose flaky stuff off so I can paint it flat black, but at least now it's a driver..yahoo.;)

Way to keep at it, if you go to my site and look at the tech page. there is a diagram of the carb lever to go by. sorry I didn't see it sooner I've been covered up. Tobby

Latest posts

Back