1929 Essex/Truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unreal

Wow Dozer. What a build. You're the welder I hope to be one day. I'd be scared to death to build my own frame. Not that I wouldn't give it a try, but it'd still be scary to me. I mean it's takin your life in your hands to make sure it don't break somewhere down the line goin down the road. I'm afraid if I were to start with my own frame, I'd have to have an instructor close by or have a professional like you do it. Incredible build.

Almost there. :cool:

Thanks EMan

Wow Dozer. What a build. You're the welder I hope to be one day. I'd be scared to death to build my own frame. Not that I wouldn't give it a try, but it'd still be scary to me. I mean it's takin your life in your hands to make sure it don't break somewhere down the line goin down the road. I'm afraid if I were to start with my own frame, I'd have to have an instructor close by or have a professional like you do it. Incredible build.

Thanks for the kind words mdlahotrod. Welding is practice, prep, and practice, oh and prep. Start with clean, beveled, accurate joints, and lots of penetration and you will have a strong weld. If your weld looks Sh@#y pretty good chance it is. I always tend to over build things just to give myself piece of mind.

Great pictures and showing of techniques. I was wondering how to bend metal to shape for my trans tunnel and I think now I see how it's done.
Say Dozer....I have a question when it comes to weldin. I've got a Lincoln 140 and am usin gas. Is this welder capable of welding things like shock mounts, both front and rear as well as my steering box mount? They're all pretty thick metal. Probably at least a 1/4" if not thicker.
Boy....one really can learn a lot from this website. Thanks Doze.

Last edited:
Great pictures and showing of techniques. I was wondering how to bend metal to shape for my trans tunnel and I think now I see how it's done.
Say Dozer....I have a question when it comes to weldin. I've got a Lincoln 140 and am usin gas. Is this welder capable of welding things like shock mounts, both front and rear as well as my steering box mount? They're all pretty thick metal. Probably at least a 1/4" if not thicker.
Boy....one really can learn a lot from this website. Thanks Doze.

I've got a Lincoln 180 and sometimes I think it is not enough. Anything heavy I preheat prior to welding and it makes a much better weld. I'm pretty sure anything over about 3/16 is going to be iffy for the 140.

I've got a Lincoln 140 and am usin gas. Is this welder capable of welding things like shock mounts, both front and rear as well as my steering box mount? They're all pretty thick metal. Probably at least a 1/4" if not thicker.
Shock mounts do not need to be any heavier than 1/8" if you mount them double shear.
1002or_16_o%2Benforcing_rig%2Bdouble_shear_mounting.jpg

If you prepare your metal correctly, you can weld relatively thick pieces together with almost any welder.
Weldin22.gif

WELDJOINTS.gif

Work stayed away today so the frame is finish welded, Hooray.

Before I started welding I sat and looked at the frame while I had my first coffee this morning, and noticed that I had the trans cross member tacked in instead of bolted. :eek: If I had of welded it in the only way the tranny would come out is with the motor, so now it is bolted in. I also added some
shed 40 tubing to triangulate the frame.

Now I have a question for all you guys with all the years of knowledge.

The swing arms for my "CenPen" cross member, are made out of 3/8 x 2.5 flat steel as pictured here.

I set the airbag on them to show perspective.

The steel I believe is of a little higher grade than mild steel, do you think I should add a vertical 1" rib on the under side to form a T to strengthen the 3/8 flat??[S

Depends on weight and stress. either way it couldn't hurt. [;)

on big rigs I've seen them both ways usually they look like a main leaf

I will add the piece to the underside for peace of mind[;)[;)

Got all the splatter and rough spots ground off, new pinion seal in the diff and the it bolted back in permanent. Final assembly begins :rolleyes:

once I was done with that I was sitting in the shop drinking a cold one looking at the frame and for some reason took to counting the individual parts it took
I had to make to build the frame. 107:eek:

Latest posts

Back