Quick and dirty LS swapped C2500

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfg455

The Hot Rod Cop
So this is slightly off topic but I figure some might be able to use some off the info here. Also if you were looking to get your feet wet with an LS swap this is the easiest one going.

The vehicle will be a fairly clean 92 chevy C2500 pick up. It is a 6 lug light duty 2500 2WD that my son has been driving. He has moved on to an 04 2500HD 4WD so I bought it off him for $1500. I promptly sold the TBI 350 and 700R4 trans for $500. I bought a 01 GMC 2500 with a rusted frame for $800 with an LQ4 6.0L and a 4L80E trans. I parted out most of the 01 and kept the core motor and trans. I had another 4L80E that was a 2WD but I could have just swapped the tail shaft and housing.

So the LQ4 was a dirty piece so I stripped it down to a long block and cleaned it up a little

I am setting this one up for the possibility of adding boost down the road so I swapped in an LS9 camshaft from the ZR1 vette with matching springs. To do this on the gen III LQ4 I need to swap to a 2X timing gear because the cam does not have the provision for the cam sensor in the rear. Add a LS2 front cover and sensor with an extension harness and there you go. I cleaned and checked the oil pump wile I was there. So the only new parts were timing chain and gears, cam, springs, oil pump pick up o ring and intake gaskets. The rest of the seals are all O ring style and reusable. The cam swap is simple. Just remove the rockers, harmonic balancer, front cover and upper timing gear. Roll the cam over about 10 times to pop the lifters up and them pull the old cam. Stab the new one right back in. Don't leave it to long as the lifters might fall then you'll have an issue

If you want to use your old transmission then use 1" set back motor mount adapters. A bunch of people make them. These are Ebay units that were $35 shipped. Reuse the clam shells and V8 motor mounts. The truck exhaust manifolds drop right into the frame rails like they were meant to be there and the stock fan will line up in the 92 shroud. I have the motor dropped into the frame with new eurothane mounts. I'll add more pics and info as I get the rest of the trans dropped in and wiring sorted out.

I'm subscribed to this one.
I've got a complete 03 Tahoe with a 5.3 that I will be swapping into a 68 short bed and using a 2wd 4l60e.
I want to modify my own wire harness and use the drive by wire too.

I'm subscribed to this one.
I've got a complete 03 Tahoe with a 5.3 that I will be swapping into a 68 short bed and using a 2wd 4l60e.
I want to modify my own wire harness and use the drive by wire too.

On the drive by wire just make sure you have the TAC (throttle actuation module) with the harness. It mounted to the fire wall just to the outside of the brake booster on the tahoe. You will need the throttle pedal as well. It is a good setup to use because your cruise control functions are all handles by the PCM instead of a seperate box.

Very cool, John. I thought about doing this for my 99 Astrovan with a 5.3.

That would make for a fun Astro Pat![cl

I just noticed that your hood is still on. That is all-some.

On these years just pop the 13mm bolt out of the spring mount where it meets the hood. Use a coat hanger to the passengers side visor mount inside the truck Connect a ratchet starp to the coat hanger and then to the hole in the front edge of the hood. That puts it straight up and no need to take it off. GM dealership tech flat rate tip for free...Lol[cl

Dropped in the 2WD 4L80E today. This one is from a 2001 express van. You can tell by the standard chevy bell housing configuration. One from behind an LS motor would have a bolt hole at the 12 o'clock position. This one also has the staggered cooler line ports. Early units (93-96) have the cooler line fittings next to each other like a th400. No issues with only 5 bolts as I am adding the big aluminum cover under the fly wheel that adds 2 more bolts to the oil pan. The cross member just slides back and drops right in. You can use 2 existing holes in the front and just drill 2 more for the rear.

The shift bracket bolts right up though you will have to take 1" out of it's length

Here is the exhaust manifolds as they drop through the frame. I used a 2500HD head pipes as they are bigger and separate. I did shorten the drivers side 1" for more clearance and then merged them together into a single 3" pipe on the passengers side.

And these are the wheels for it. 20x8.5 Silverado wheels. it will be dropped 4/2 as well

Wheels and tires are mounted. Wheels are OE knock off of a 2015 Silverado 20". They were $755 shipped for 4. The tires are Hankook 275/45/20's and with a manufacturer rebate and an Ebay rebate they were $488 shipped for 4. I will need to run a 1" spacer to set them out where they need to be.

Here is the factory AC unit mounted to the LS motor. Short version of how to do it: cut off the single leg that hangs down, Use 1 bolt into the front of the passengers side head, Make a bracket that supports it front to back as well as up and down, swap to a 2720mm belt length, move the idler pulley over to the inside bolt for the alternator and you can use the C/K tensioner.

I also have the intake on it, made plugs for the EGR and EVAP purge solenoid holes. The fuel lines are just the end of the LS lines adapted to the steel TBI lines that come up in the same spot.

Here is what I have left:
-replace fuel pump with high pressure unit
-put radiator back in and hook up lines
-shorten drive shaft
-Air intake
-wiring
-exhaust (I found a Corsa stainless system for an escalade on CL for $200)

Cool swap.
I could never get the nerve to try a LS.
Computers and all those wires freak me out.:eek:
I hear they are very powerful motors.
Nice project

You can get a plug and play harness but they are expensive. In reality you will take more wires out of the harness then you will use. There winds up being like 5 power wires and 4 ground wires total. It's less hassle then you think.

I might add a turbo to this one next year...A T76 at about 18 psi boost is around 740hp on this motor...[cl

Latest posts

Back