Quick and dirty LS swapped C2500

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not much new...I've been so busy with work, my girls ice hockey schedule, house, life etc. I just can't seem to put together any time to get the wiring finished. I did get the poser wires bundled and extended, a cheap weather proof fuse panel made and some of the other truck side to engine side wires run to weather tight connectors. I'm hoping to sneak in a few minutes on it tomorrow as well. I refuse to push it out of the bay until it runs on it's own. If I do then I know my A.D.D. will kick in and I will forget about it for 6 months...[S

Snuck in a little bit of time on it today. Heartened up some more wiring etch. Also mounted the electric fans. A little tid bit of info... If you have the lighter duty radiator (EG: not diesel or big block) then a 1998-2002 F body fan and should fits inside the stock truck shroud. Just rivet them together and trim off the excess

SO as usual life has reared it's ugly head and gotten in the way of shop time...Work has been crazy, kids schedules has been crazy, arguing with the 21 year old son who works full time but doesn't want to move out or pay his fair share gets old and to top it all off the missus and I are in couples counseling after 15 years...

But I have been sneaking in a half hour here and there to try to get this thing done. I neatened up the wiring into a cheap fuse panel box. It is a sealed trailer bus bar box ($6) with the bar removed and a 8 circuit fuse panel hot glued in ($4) The power wire from the old TBI key to coil circuit is powering the box. I put in separate cooling fan relays for each of the fans. 1 will start at 185F and the other at 200F. I have the 4" aluminum piping coming for the air intake. Once I swap the fuel pump it will be ready to fire up.

I wouldn't move out either if I didn't have to pay for anything. Stick with it, it'll work out.
If the counseling works then that's a venture well worth the time.

I made up the new air intake that clears the AC compressor. Also go the transmission lines finished up.

I pulled the bed, rear bumper and hitch. Next I'll drop in a 96 fuel pump so it will have the correct pressure. Then a 4" drop kit and some paint. On a side note I sold the 454 I had so now I can get started on the LSA blown LY6 6.0L swap for my 69 Chevelle.

I'm thinking it would be a fair fight...
Datsun - 2500 lbs 600hp
Chevelle - 3450 lbs 550hp

But you're welcome to come shoe either one if you like![cl

I have been researching pistons for the Datsun motor. It will be a 5.3L with 317 (6.0L) heads so it will be 8.5:1 compression....just means I can stuff more boost to it. Looking to run 25 psi or so.

I swapped the fuel pump for a 96 unit so it has the correct pressure. The lowering kit is being difficult. None of the 6 bolts will come out of the rear springs so I will have to cut them all out and replace the bushings. I'll change them to eurothane so it shoule tighten it up a little. I think I will lose the rear bumper and hide the hitch behind a flip down license plate mount.

Looks like good progress. Was the old tank fuel pump for a carb'd engine?

Your shop is looking a lot like mine. I tripped over a air hose yesterday and fell forever before I hit the floor. Sucks to get old and clumsy.

Your shop is looking a lot like mine. I tripped over a air hose yesterday and fell forever before I hit the floor. Sucks to get old and clumsy.

Pops, the 92 TBI fuel injection ran at about 10-13 PSI while the 96-03 fuel injection setup runs at about 50 PSI. That's for GM stuff. The LS needs to run at the higher pressure, hence why the pump swap was necessary.

The old pump was for the TBI injection that runs at 9-12psi. The 96 pump should give me the needed 42-55psi.

Yeah my shop is in a serious need of a cleaning. I tripped over a 1/2 made harley exhaust and fell into a pile of LS parts...I don't think I actually reached the floor! time to clean

Awesome job on this swap. Would love to do this on my dads 91 C1500. His TBI motor has over 400K miles and is ready for an upgrade. Great info on that LS9 cam and timing swap too.. [cl:D

The reason I ask is I'm looking for as in tank fuel pump to put in my '47.
Does this one mount flat on top of the tank?

Yes it does. It uses a slim lock ring and an O ring to mount it. I can post more detailed pics of the sending unit and how it mounts with measurements if you would like.

Latest posts

Back