1936 Chevy low cab

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Something sounds wrong to me. How much are you missing from connecting your shackles? Got a pic of your problem? Like Old Iron showed, the spring should have the shackles about parallel with the ground at relaxed state and under weight of body and motor/transmission will leave the shackles about 45 degrees.

I set my perches to the width in the Speedway catalog helpful hints, model A style spring. I had to jounce it just a little to get the last shackle in but iw asn't difficult. What changed? did you get new shackles and maybe they are shorter?

Nothing has actually changed. My shackles are the same measurement as the ones I took off. The perches haven't changed and all of this is from speedway. I actually called with all the measurements and the guy had me double measure things and he set up. But no measurements have changed. It's not far off its about 1" 1/4 off.

Well I got my spring on the other day. I ended up figuring out my old perch's had more of a angle in then my new ones. So I ended up making some new shackles and that solved the problem. I actually took apart my old ones, pressed the studs out and made new pieces re pressed the studs in, and it's all good now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 23
Back at it last night. I was able to get the perch mount all finished up and welded on the frame, and also the front axle on. Anyone have any advise or tricks when it comes to radius rods? there on the front end, but i need to make the brackets for the frame, but I held off to see if anyone had any advice or do's and don't s.
image_41.jpeg
image_40.jpeg
IMG_1435.jpg
IMG_1438.jpg
IMG_1439.jpg

Old iron, do you have any advice on the radius rods? The proper way to set them up, or does it matter. Do they have to be set up at a certain angle? I'm not sure and need all the advice I can get.
Thanks

I like mine as level as I can get them(at ride height), the clevises three quarter the way screwed into them with 5 degrees of caster at the king pin bores. This way you can increase or decrease caster.

Ok I will go for that. Would you set them up after you get weight on the spring? Or is ok to set them up how it's sitting.?
Thanks for the help also. I really appreciate it.

Setting at ride height would mean with the weight of drivetrain and cab/bed etc...It will probably settle 1 1/2 to 2" . Then level. Pay attention to what Old Iron said about setting the clevises for adjustment if you need some changes on caster angle...

Latest posts

Back