Racecar to RATROD

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok I've been busy today. Got the car in the shop today and took the body and bumpers off of it. Looks pretty good the way it is but don't think the boys in blue would like it.

Do you think they'er going to be able to catch you to complain?:eek: Sniper

Nope lol. I have ran the car on a 5/8 mile track going into turn 1 at over 140mph. Talkin about turning left. Imagine a rat doin that. The term "want to race?" means there and back. lol

Today i cut all the diagonal interior bars out and and removed the rest of the alum interior. Once i remove headers i will be able to locate firewall. Upper front bars are going to make it tough with the exhaust but will make it happen somehow. Will take some photos and post them tomorrow. Think it would be easier to build new frame but have to use this car.

I am planning on cutting the front horns off and dressing them off unless i decide to cut the whole front clip off and make it old school.
2 Cents worth again. What about leaving the front "chassis" part and incorporating in the front frame horns from a Model A chassis? And/or mounting a radiator out there too. That would add the old school hot rod look to the front and leave your handling characteristics....

Here's a couple of views of a 'street version stock car'. Might not be the style you want, but it's a cool looking rig. Sniper
:) I really love this car. Can you drive it on the street? it doesnt look legal. I like the stock car races, I used to go with my brothers.

That is kinda where i was headed with the front horns. I can cut it just in front of the steering box and fab the horns from there on out. I will try and go to me georges today and take pics againnnnn.

Here are some photos i took today. The chevy is the one i am looking at building. The two coupes are also something i am considering using.The ford trucks look good also. Ther are two frontends with the chevys and suspension parts everywhere. I will try and post all of the pics for yall to look at. Tell me what you think about the chevy truck. Its a 40

Attachments

• IMG_8721.jpg
    IMG_8721.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_8722.jpg
    IMG_8722.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_8723.jpg
    IMG_8723.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_8746.jpg
    IMG_8746.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_8727.jpg
    IMG_8727.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 186
Here are some photos i took today. The chevy is the one i am looking at building. The two coupes are also something i am considering using.The ford trucks look good also. Ther are two frontends with the chevys and suspension parts everywhere. I will try and post all of the pics for yall to look at. Tell me what you think about the chevy truck. Its a 40
I'm a truck guy, use the 40. It's scream'n "use me........."

That Vega in the back ground of the second pic should have the steering box that will work for a Cross steer setup.

Back when i raced Dirt i used to get stock car racing mag in the mail and in one of the issues it had a sportsman type car that was street legal it was awesome ride wished i still had that issue

In the third photo there's an old school bus in the background, those top stop lights would be killer taillights on the 40 mounted on the roof. Just my 2cents worth.

:) I really love this car. Can you drive it on the street? it doesnt look legal. I like the stock car races, I used to go with my brothers.

Hi Dirty Girl, There was a write up on this one, I think it was in Street Rodder if I recall correctly. Yes, it is street legal according to the article. It would be wild to pilot that down the road. It's a 1935 Chevy Master, with 350/350 combo. The roof is unchopped while the whole body has been lowered. Tires are 29x18.5x15 on 15x14 rims. Suppose you could always go "roll lawns" in the spring.;) Yep, I like that one also. Sniper

OK I have definitely stepped in it now. I went with the 41 chevy and got it in the shop last night. Looks like i am building a frame for it, I think the ole truck was parked at the beach before i got it. I first started to take off what i think i didnt need. I have welded tabs on door to secure them while i replace lower rear corners of cab.I am jumping into this head first blind folded and will be taking any and all advice.Should i do door sills first? Here is what i have and i know it is rough but it was FREEEEEEEE. It said a security token was missin for pic DL???

I know yall love pics and their coming but here is an update. Got the body off and turned it on its nose to work on the rusty bottom. When i say rusty i mean rusty. Theres more metal gone than there. What do you call that stuff that is GONE. Space matter i guess. After looking at the bottom of the doors that isnt there i cut 4" off the bottom and rebuilt lower door and door sill. Lil bit more cleanup and i think it may work out. The seat was up 6" on the gas tank so i dont think i will loose any headroom.This is NEW to me so any input would be great.

if you look at the driver door you will see where i took 4" out of the bottom and rebuilt the door sill. The other photo is my mark line for the left door. I used a chain hoist to remove cab.

Attachments

• 03-21-09_1146.jpg
    03-21-09_1146.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 183
  • 03-21-09_1148.jpg
    03-21-09_1148.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 122
  • 03-21-09_1241.jpg
    03-21-09_1241.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 118
  • 03-21-09_1830.jpg
    03-21-09_1830.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 118
  • 03-21-09_1831.jpg
    03-21-09_1831.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 127
I know yall love pics and their coming but here is an update. Got the body off and turned it on its nose to work on the rusty bottom. When i say rusty i mean rusty. Theres more metal gone than there. What do you call that stuff that is GONE. Space matter i guess. After looking at the bottom of the doors that isnt there i cut 4" off the bottom and rebuilt lower door and door sill. Lil bit more cleanup and i think it may work out. The seat was up 6" on the gas tank so i dont think i will loose any headroom.This is NEW to me so any input would be great.

Perfect choice for the body. It will have a great look. Just get the body solid again and then start whacking it. FYI, when the bottom is "space matter" it makes it perfect to section the body. Just figure out how much space you need to sit in it and throw away the rest. Makes the chop look better too.

I got the second door done tonight and with a few braces in place i will be able to put body upright. I took 4" off the bottom my concern is i never see anybody just cut off the bottom. I shouldnt loose any head room due to the gas tank being under the seat factory. Can i use this 41 chevy front axle with a spring turned sideway like i have seen others do. I can machine the spindles to make my wide 5 racecar hubs work. There are thees small pieces that look like shock absorbers that are still good. 2 in front and 2 in rear. Can i use those instead of shocks? Thanks for all of yalls help on this.

Latest posts

Back