My Project 36' Ford Pickup

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am back

Hey all I have been catching up on all the stuff we HAVE to do in life. This year it has been very hot up here in the NW. My truck does not really like the heat. I doesn't overheat but stays real close. As I suspected the Mustang radiator is marginal. I hate spending big money so I only drive when the ambient is under 80 degrees. I am having my knees replaced this year (1 done and 1 to go) so the modifications I had planned are coming slow. Most of last non-driving season I was working on semi-modernizing a real nice '38 Chev sedan. So my car has to wait. I did manage to build a set of headers and the next is an intake manifold (3 single barrels). It is all for looks because the 250 is stock. Someday I hope to build my 292. Thus the 3 carbs. I will post pictures as soon as I finish all the goodies and install them. Hope all are doing well and keep on building.

Steve

Hello all
As I mentioned I am back from a very long long break but haven't forgotten the great folks who haunt this forum.
On the last post (2011) I mentioned the tri-power I hoped to use on my truck. Now many years later here are some pictures of the stuff I have put together. Please don't laugh 'cause I will make it work. The mule motor is a 230 ci., no cam and totally stock. Does not work well. Way rich and the YF's do not lend themselves to very much tuning. We will see. Here are some photos. Thanks for looking and keep on building. Steve

Attachments

• DSCN1071.JPG
    DSCN1071.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0861.JPG
    DSCN0861.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0829.JPG
    DSCN0829.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0805.JPG
    DSCN0805.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
There's no laughing on this site but, there may be suggestions on how to help you.
bob w built one similar to yours and has ran it maybe he'll chime in.

Well I am trying to get back to the site more often. The truck is layed up now because it needs some repairs and modifications. Right now I am remodeling and additing to our house and shop. When (if) I ever finish this project the first thing is to make repairs from the miles I have put on the truck. After repairs I am hoping I will be able to afford to build a better engine. Here is a taste of the future. Haven't gotten these carbs up to par and they may not work but Tam having fun trying. Later

Attachments

• DSCN0861.JPG
    DSCN0861.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0829.JPG
    DSCN0829.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCN1071.JPG
    DSCN1071.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
I built a two one barrel intake for a 250 Chevy, a two 2 barrel for a slant six and a two four barrel and a three two barrel for a 300 Ford 6 in a dragster. They all worked fine.

Attachments

• Throttle%20linkage%20002[2].jpg
    Throttle%20linkage%20002[2].jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 0
I built a two one barrel intake for a 250 Chevy, a two 2 barrel for a slant six and a two four barrel and a three two barrel for a 300 Ford 6 in a dragster. They all worked fine.
Now we are talking. That looks great and I am glad it works well for you Bob. Thanks for letting us see what you have done.
My issue is I am trying to use Carter YF carbs and I am having a bit of trouble tuning them. The Blue Flame six I believe used a set of carbs like the Corvair used. Very similiar to the YF. When I have the right amount of time (house reno and all) I will dig into making everything work. Hope to use a 292 in the future.
Everyone have fun and keep on making cool stuff.

Steve

Here's the International with a 250 Chevy. I used two of the original carbs. No tuning necessary. I even water heated the manifold.

Attachments

• 50's 010.JPG
    50's 010.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Here's the International with a 250 Chevy. I used two of the original carbs. No tuning necessary. I even water heated the manifold.
Nice truck! I always liked Internationals. In my research the common thread was the manifold should be heated. I assumed the headers would do the job but now the heat from the engine water will probably be necessary. I originally planned on a SS tube running through the manifold end to end. Now I may sreal your idea and run it on the outside ( much easier). Thanks Bob for the interest and the photo.

Steve

Oops I didn't look close enough. You ran the tube through the manifold and the return line from the back along the manifold. Blind as a bat.

Steve

Latest posts

Back