Smallfoot's AA

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Little things...

We never really get done huh? Because my simple heater doesn't have a shut-off valve, regardless of the switch being on or off, the hot water still flowed.
I added a ball valve to the pump side. Cuts alot of the extra uneeded heat out.

And I keep running into Andy and his 51 GMC...hoho!

Last edited:
I'll have to 51 back in my barn next friday to finish up the monster wiring job. I offered to get his lights and other electricals all working and it did turn into a job, but we'll get it then. We just ran out of daylight last time.

Very little progress on the rudy, the transmissions have been non stop. I am very blessed to have all these great customers. Having your AA out beating on it, is there somethings you like and/or somethings you would change?? Tobby

Very little progress on the rudy, the transmissions have been non stop. I am very blessed to have all these great customers. Having your AA out beating on it, is there somethings you like and/or somethings you would change?? Tobby

Actually I'm pretty stoked with how everything turned out. The truck really does well. I knew going in about the cab room issues and still chopped and channeled it. That would probably be my only change if doing another. It's ok for a guy my size. Taller people have issues with comfort...

Hi, new to the forum, love the build. Copper pipe looks great. I noticed you used a Jeep chassis as a basis. What do you think of using a Land Rover chassis to start with as they are easier to get hold of over here.

Cheers, Dan

Hi, new to the forum, love the build. Copper pipe looks great. I noticed you used a Jeep chassis as a basis. What do you think of using a Land Rover chassis to start with as they are easier to get hold of over here.

Cheers, Dan

Hey Dan, I personally don't have any experience with the land rover chassis. My immediate thought is use what you can find...the easier the better. If they are relatively straight frames, I'm sure any kind of modifications can be made. Lots of the people here can turn a stack of steel into a master-piece if they want a frame. Most of us might want something a little more "done" to start with if you get me. If you've got a few tools and imagination, half your work is done. If you run into a snag with an idea. Run it by these guys. There's a universe of knowledge amongst this crowd and if you think there is only one way to do something just ask. They'll show you several...

Off to LKQ

I've been tweeking things to get the best I can out of everything. Went back through and re-aligned everything with axles and suspension parts trying to solve a small problem. Been at it for a while trying to find what I could make better. I trued a problem with axle alignment and reset my caster angle again and used the string method to get back to good. Also reset the pinion angle on the rear. When I let it down off the jackstands, I started down the driveway and began hearing a popping noise. OK, back up, turn around a go back to the barn. Up on stands, it now sounds like a bearing letting go on the passenger side rear. Guess I might have beat this little 7.5 all it can take. I'm on a hunt for an 8.5 and will go through it before putting it in. New bearings will go in this one to get it back on the road. I've been looking for a while for the right one and the junk yard has several choices in inventory right now so off I go. Just when ya get things figured out something else pops up. Haven't heard any problems out of this rear end all along until I'm headed out to test my steering issue...[S:rolleyes:[S

Fell into a better rearend today! Got this from a 2002 S10 Blazer which had been wrecked at 67,000 miles. It's an 8.5 G80 with 3:42 gears and disk brakes. I'm waiting till sundown to tackle the cleanup and maybe the swap tonight. I'm looking around for info on whether or not I can just swap my drum brakes over and lose the disks or if I have to do something else. Can't see disks in the rear and drums in the front although I do have control to the rear circuit with an adjustible proportioning valve. Looking at the axle tube ends and the fastening, it looks like they'll swap. If anybody knows, please chime in. I'm off to study on it.
I have to cut the spring saddles off and set them up to my springs, then cut the shock mounts off the other s10 rear and weld them on this one. Redo the E-brake. Generally just connect all the dots after clean-up and a general inspection inside and new fluid. This one is tight and I expect no surprises but we'll see. Gotta long night ahead....[;)

I have heard that the backing plate mounting flange is deeper on the s-10 disk brake rear ends. Probably because of the internal e brake.

Still trying to finger things out....think I got a groove wore into the old gourd scratching my head....:rolleyes:
The fabbing needed to go the other way with a disc upgrade involves the Ebrake issues. I'm thinking if all parts from the axle housing flange out get swapped it will put those issues null and void.

The only 8.5" S10 rear came from the ZR2 pickups or blazers. The axle flange will be different than the 7.5 that came standard in all the other trucks.

That sounds like a lot of work for one night....good luck ! [cl
I was being optomistic with that thought for sure...:D

Got another day at least to do all I want to do. But think it will be a catastrophic success. I'm posting what I found on another thread:
http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33785
Didn't get much done with all the studying and measuring before the attempt, but I have to pick up some items to have on hand when it goes back together and I'm not hurrying with it.

Some times I catch myself way over thinking things like this and after getting into it I think I should have just done it with out all the drama. Maybe it's a form of excessive compulsive disorder people like us have.

Good luck.

Some times I catch myself way over thinking things like this and after getting into it I think I should have just done it with out all the drama. Maybe it's a form of excessive compulsive disorder people like us have.

Good luck.

Ain't that the truth. If I had just dove into it last night instead of trying to get some mental assurance, I would have got my parts today and be back together tonight. :rolleyes: But, both axles are on the ground and mostly disassembled, the gremlins have been run off so it's looking good. Swap the drivers side and associated parts that need to move and I can bolt it back in. Well...after the paint dries!!!

Update on the tales of woe...or woah!

First off. The axle assembly I picked up from LKQ was the updated version of the 8.5...the one they call the 8.6. By what I read, the updates include larger carrier bearings and the proponents call it an upgrade that improves these to almost "12-bolt" strength. Well that may be but right now I've not got good thoughts about it. Got the swap done. Lots of work dropping the old, in with the new, with swapping spring perches and shock mounts and brake parts. By the way, the brake parts going from 7.625 to 8.5 or 8.6 making the later disc brakes go back to drum brakes is a direct swap. Just pull everything off the axle tube and swap it. That part went well. I had most of that done before pool night last thursday but wasn't quite finished so after 10 pm when we knock off from pool, I went back to the barn and by 2 am I was on my driveway and off for a test ride. Ok, something wasn't right. Axle flange was bent drivers side. Jeeze, you'd think you could see it better. The next Sunday I was back at the pick and pull looking for another axle. Guess what, I found these to be harder to find than hens teeth. All afternoon in the rain, trapsing thru the mud looking, only no finding...Ok, went to the parts store, special order an axle...another big surprise...more than the entire assembly just for the axle. I'm tired of being on jacks and not enjoying the ride so I bit the bullet. Pulled the axle, replaced bearings and seals, back to test drive.....another hit to the gut, the carrier is making noises I can't figure out. Nothing is easily seen to be a problem and my lack of knowledge and any specialized equipment to check true is killing me on this. Got a fine little number of a GOV-LOK if anybody needs a good boat anchor....[ddd.
I'm back in with the 7.625, new bearings and seals.....and on the road again. Been too long under it! Now I'm hoping for a long time in it....thanks for stopping by, I'm off for a ride.

Latest posts

Back