The Puzzle replacement

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No no no, THAT is perfect. A good chop is an exercise in restraint. You want to improve the looks of the car, like a designer would draw a concept. Too much and you destroy the flow, winding up with a wonky-looking freakshow instead of a smooth custom. You're doing a good job. Stay the course...

The blued eyes is right. Too much and its ruined....looking great right now...keep up the good work....cr

Thanks guys, I went out there today and worked on the center post's and the rear window. I don't think it would be a very smooth or as nice as it is now into the back window( which is the stock glass)with another couple inches. It does almost look like the way it should have been from the factory. Gotta get back to work, the daily druge tomarro so progress will be sloww for awhile.

another day of weilding, Its not the prettyest chop but I don't have a english wheel or any fancey tools at all. Man it needs 3 to 4"s out of the suspension So here is where I am.

Attachments

• 52 chop 003.jpg
    52 chop 003.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 126
  • 52 chop 006.jpg
    52 chop 006.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 127
  • 52 chop 009.jpg
    52 chop 009.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 123
  • 52 chop 002.jpg
    52 chop 002.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
I like the amount of the chop and the lines...my car has a 2-1/2" chop and a lot of people say is that chopped or not and that is just the way I like it.

Thanks guys, I really didn't want to make the quarter windows shorter like most of them I have seen so I made myself a ton of more work by cutting them off on top and moveing them back instead of bringing the bottoms forward and it kept the C pillar nice and small but man did it make it tough to get the curve of the roof correct.

I didn't go any lower and I am just smoothing it out now, a little more work in the quarter windows and it will be there. I am looking for a new grill 49 to 52 anyone have anything?
The rear window fits to!

Attachments

• getting smooth 005.jpg
    getting smooth 005.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 107
  • getting smooth 003.jpg
    getting smooth 003.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 101
  • getting smooth 002.jpg
    getting smooth 002.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 94
  • getting smooth 010.jpg
    getting smooth 010.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 83
I don't know if anyone noticed or not but I had a real problem with the top of the quater windows, I now know why most guys shorten them up. Buy makeing them stock lokking it makes the top edge to long and flat. I really didn't see this untill it was in primer, (sucks for me) so I had to cut 1/2 of it back out and reform it to kinda gentle curve and start all over again but I think I got it this time. What do ya think?

Attachments

• 52 017.jpg
    52 017.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 113
  • 52 021.jpg
    52 021.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 107
  • 52 012.jpg
    52 012.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 107
Thanks guys. I have an idea, the chop isn't radical at all almost doesn't look chopped to the unknowing eye so,,,,, I found a 54 belair post car the other day and about all thats good on it is all the SS trim and there is alot of it.
What I am thinking is doing the 52 as a what if car useing all that trim and a few other key parts from a 53/54 and try to make it look like something that GM might have done as a show car in 51/52 to show what was come'n in a few years. It might work and end up being an interesting car, but it might also be just something trying to be what its not.
Ideas and opinons please. Am I crazy or do ya think it might work?:confused:

Got it outside today, it so needs to be dropped about 4"s

Attachments

• rough primer 003.jpg
    rough primer 003.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 84
  • rough primer 007.jpg
    rough primer 007.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 83
  • rough primer 004.jpg
    rough primer 004.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 78
hey cosmic,im located in canastota area,there is a pick n pull located east of rome,i was there last week,there is a 52 and a 53 in the yard in case your interested,its called vinces you pull it,they have a web site so you can get directions,open 7 days a week.hope this helps ya.car looks good,i like the way you did the chop.

now I have a before and after shot, still say it shoulda been 1 to 2"s lower on the top

Attachments

• 52 Chevy 006.jpg
    52 Chevy 006.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 89
  • rough primer 003.jpg
    rough primer 003.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 91
Went to the woods and got the trim off the 54 today and did a quick test fit.
I think it will work with a little effort and it should look good I think.

Attachments

• trim 007.jpg
    trim 007.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 82
  • trim 010.jpg
    trim 010.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 83
  • trim 006.jpg
    trim 006.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 94

Latest posts

Back