Mopar Reverse Trike

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

falconvan

I've been checking out various three wheeled cars over the last several years and have really wanted to build one using a front wheel drive drivetrain. I'm planning on a tube chassis, single seater, center steer with two front drive wheels and one in the rear. I picked up this Dodge 2.2 with a 2.5 roller head and an auto transaxle. I'll be a few months before I start putting the chassis together but I'm calling this the kickoff. Time to try out that tubing bender I bought a few years ago.

Attachments

• 2.2.jpg
    2.2.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 206
I've been checking out various three wheeled cars over the last several years and have really wanted to build one using a front wheel drive drivetrain. I'm planning on a tube chassis, single seater, center steer with two front drive wheels and one in the rear. I picked up this Dodge 2.2 with a 2.5 roller head and an auto transaxle. I'll be a few months before I start putting the chassis together but I'm calling this the kickoff. Time to try out that tubing bender I bought a few years ago.

Are ya sayin the rear wheel will be a drive wheel too? Should be a real interesting build.

I'll be watching this.
I've been thinking about a rear-drive trike with a front-drive car set-up in the back. Like the old V-dub trikes.:D

I'll be watching this.
I've been thinking about a rear-drive trike with a front-drive car set-up in the back. Like the old V-dub trikes.:D

I'm watching this project, too.

I have also thought about using a front wheel drive in the rear of a trike, but from what I've read, the wide rear trikes don't handle as well as the wide front trikes. Again, it's only from reading - no real world experience. They say that they are more prone to tipping.

It seems that each state has it's own rules about licensing, helmet laws, etc. I read up just a bit in Ohio (where I'm living now), and they classify three-wheelers as what ever the manufacturer classified them as. So if the manufacturer's documentation calls it a car, it is licensed as a car, if described as a three-wheeled motorcycle, then it is titled that way, and the motorcycle laws apply. From the little bit I read on it, Ohio also seems to have a special driver's license for three-wheelers.

OK, not a huge start but I had my son start putting the engine together since I had all the parts sitting there and he's been bugging me to start on this. We going to put the drive train together and start tossing some ideas around for a frame design.

Attachments

• IMG_0744.JPG
    IMG_0744.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 31
Is that a car or a motorcycle in Missouri?

In Texas if there are 2 riders... they must be seated in front & behind each other. They outlawed a 3 wheeler where the people sat side by side! Go figure but Texas is FULL of crazy people in office!!!

BoB

In Texas if there are 2 riders... they must be seated in front & behind each other. They outlawed a 3 wheeler where the people sat side by side! Go figure but Texas is FULL of crazy people in office!!!

BoB

I think the tandem seating makes more sense on a three wheeler anyway. Narrower body, less wind resistance. The ones I've seen with side by side seating all look disporportionately wide to me.

Good Idea

But, (there's always a but) will you be seating in front of the eng. or behind it[S But like others I have had that thought a time or two [cl

I can't remember when, exactly, or where but i remember seeing a olds tornado trike, mc front fork type.

not weight and hp can be scary :eek:

[P[;)[P

Seating will be behind the engine, just a basic FWD setup in front with a single wheel in the rear. Kind of like that Elio that is supposed to be coming out next year.

Seating will be behind the engine, just a basic FWD setup in front with a single wheel in the rear. Kind of like that Elio that is supposed to be coming out next year.

Engine in front will be a lot safer in the event of a crash too.

Last edited:
I built three trikes with FWD setups, two Citation/Fiero V6's and a Toronado with a 350 horse Olds 350. They were all built as a conventional trike, with the engine and trans behind the rider. My concern with making a front-wheel drive reverse trike would be packaging all that stuff in a manner that doesn't make the rider feel like he's herding a refrigerator box full of machinery down the road. I'm sure it can be done, but I think it will take some serious thought. Good luck with your project! :) BTW, the rear-engine trikes handle like sports cars....independent rear suspension, big brakes, all the weight over the rear axle instead of the steering axle.

Latest posts

Back