1972 Javelin Mad Max Road Warrior Replica

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustycarr

Ive always loved Rat Rods and the Mad Max Movies, since i was a kid i loved the Rat Rodded cars in Road Warrior,. So i decided to build me a Mad Max car out of a 72 Javelin. I built the nose out of metal, sourced alot of blower parts off ebay, its got a fuel cell mounted in one of the rear fuel tanks.functional side pipes, chevy 400 for the power plant. Very fun car to drive.

Attachments

• maxjav.JPG
    maxjav.JPG
    174.1 KB · Views: 233
  • maxrear.JPG
    maxrear.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
I always wondered what type of cars those were in the movies , I know most had the steering wheel on the right side.. but some were cool looking I had a 72 javelin on a 4x4 running gear .. bought it not running and sold it 2 years later . still not on the road

I always wondered what type of cars those were in the movies
The original Interceptor that Mel Gibson drove in Mad Max was an Australian Ford Falcon, very expensive to buy and then you have to import it. I found the closest thing i could (Javelin) and tore into it..

Have you got the plastic seat bolted on the door ? I guess you would have to put it on the right side door:D looks good though ,, I can watch mad max movies over and over ,, I never get tired of them .[P

Wow. Well done.

For something built out of a completely different make/model car, that looks pretty well spot on.

The original was an XB/XC Ford Falcon Coupe. They're even hard to come by here in Australia now. Even the 4 door sedans are few and far between.

There's a few US cars in those movies, the truck that gets knocked off the jack and falls on the dude when Max first comes barrelling through with the prime mover is a 51-53 Dodge truck, and from memory the pink car that gets torched by the flame thrower is a 55-57 Chevy.
Most of them are Aussie Fords, Holdens and Valiants...

I thought that was an american car they torched Just couldn't pin point the year 57 ish 58 dont think it stayed on it long enough to tell .. Id ride in the jav.. in a heart beat [cl[cl

being a ol amc man, i hate to see the ol cars cut up. that being said, i think you did ok. atleast it's not setting and rotting away some where. enjoy your ride as i don't believe you'll run across another any time soon. the car does look the part.[cl

That is just cool... Pretty darn close too... I'll bet you can turn more than one head in traffic

How did you end up doing the side-pipes?

Thanks for all the comments, it does get alot of attention when i stop, the car was from the coast area and was rusted pretty bad, so it was a great candidate. Bow , the side pipes are all individual bent pipes welded into one larger pipe, all 8 are functional.Cant wait for Mad Max, Fury Road to come out May, 2015!

Bow , the side pipes are all individual bent pipes welded into one larger pipe, all 8 are functional

Ahhh, OK... cool way to do it, basic a 1 to 4 pipe, like a log manifold...

Any Muffler/Silencer/Glasspack in line, or just a straight shot from the exhaust valves to the atmosphere?

Nice job.!
I always thought the Mad Max car was real bad ass. do you have a working blower ? I was always sad I think it was the second film where he crashed the car when it's completely destroyed. maybe they didn't actually wreck the hero car.
Enjoy yours I'm sure you're going to get a lot of thumbs up

Nice job.!
I always thought the Mad Max car was real bad ass. do you have a working blower ? I was always sad I think it was the second film where he crashed the car when it's completely destroyed. maybe they didn't actually wreck the hero car.
Enjoy yours I'm sure you're going to get a lot of thumbs up
The blower is just for looks, its got a carb mounted under the hollow 671 body, Im currently working on hooking up an electric motor to the switch on gear shift to turn the pulley and belt, like in the movie.. The original car from Mad Max 1 and 2 is in a museum in Miami,Florida. thanks for all comments.

Latest posts

Back