What is it?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExDelayed

I know it's a Chevy. Everything I can find online says its a `36, but the owner says it's a `35. What is left of the headlight buckets mount to the grille shell, but the shell might not be original.

Chevy.jpg

2014-10-04125941.jpg

I'm guessing it's a '36. I think all the '35 headlights mounted to the fenders.....Chevy did go to the metal top, "Turret Top" I believe they called it, in mid year so there are two body styles for 1935 with the early ones having the insert tops.

This is a early 36. The wood in the rear window location is the key.
The doors do not belong to this car because the 36 also had wood in this area.
These doors are off of a late 36 because of the steel inner panels.
The 36 headlights were mounted to the side of the radiator surround.
Gm was extremely slow to adopt Henry's design on the steel inner panels. In mid to late 36 Gm started putting steel panels inside instead of wood.

And with the door comment, I will now look for signs of an accident. I noticed they seemed to have aged different than the body. It's front fenders are nearby, and they look like the doors.

BTW, its free.

Free????
Oh well
Who cares then :)
Most likely no accidents, just easier to use those doors then to try and fix the originals.
Heck those may even be 37 doors. Crank would know if the 37 doors will fit.

I tried getting ahold of guy once over a pontiac about 36-38 he was asking 1700 for. he never answered any messages. I'd drive by it couple times a month down in Great Bend Ks
He also had a dodge bros coup he never called me back on.
Both cars were straight and complete with good chrome all paint and cloth gone to the elements
Boy that pontiac bustle back 2 door was a gorgeous car

Hard to find doors.

Definitely late '36 doors. The wide molding tells me that. 1937 had 2 thin lines for molding. The steel doors are hard to find and what every restorer wants. The wooden ones sag. The late 1935 had this body with suicide doors.

The doors do need a little bit of work, but look good for their age. The right door has some rust near the back, and the left door looks like it had its hinge forcefully removed. Both are nothing serious that a little bit of patching wouldn't fix.

Even with the old wood, and what it will take to replace it (with steel), I still think I would take it, even if it wasn't free. Now to do the paperwork with the state, since there is also a rust hole where the "VIN" should be.

There was a tag on that year chevy on the passenger front floor board by the door jamb.
Early GM's were titled by the number that was stamped on the engine between the distributor and the block on the machined flat surface. Most of these cars had the engine changed out years ago though.

I've already found that link, thanks.

Would the underhood tag help at all? With a missing VIN, I only get one chance to title it correctly.

Underhood:
Style: 36-1211
Body:0 6569?
Trim: 50
Paint: 107

The style number is part of the reason I was thinking it is a 36.

Bingo! That's the easy way to tell a Chevy, the style number is the year model first, then the body style number.

There was a tag on that year chevy on the passenger front floor board by the door jamb.
Early GM's were titled by the number that was stamped on the engine between the distributor and the block on the machined flat surface. Most of these cars had the engine changed out years ago though.

OK, I looked between the battery box and the firewall. I'll go look at it again. It does have it's engine to, I'll see what I can find there.

Unless I'm wrong a 35 Master and 36 had different front sheet but same body? Most 35s but not all seem to have suicide doors and 37-38 has a line on the bottom front corner of the door,Making the OPs car a 1936.
1935-Chevrolet-Master-Deluxe-Town-Sedan.jpg

865401276_9f3c5465c2_z.jpg

Chev37sedan1web.jpg

The late '35 had the same grill as the early 35, but the rounded body of the 36. I think all of the late 35's did have suicide doors though. The trunk backs are a lot less desirable and more plentiful than the straight back coaches.
The straight backs were all cut up for modifieds in the 60's/early '70's.image.jpg
The humpbacks are used a lot for the new vintage modifieds though, the hump covers the fuel cell on a Troyer chassis.

This has all been a lot of help. I will head back out again today to look at it a little more, and hopefully start the papers I'll need for the state.

This cool dude in Argentina stumbled on some of my project pix on FB and freinded me.
This is Osvaldo's rat
It's a 1964 rastrojero

Osvaldo's rat.jpg

Latest posts

Back