1948 Thriftmaster

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks again everyone. I've been putting a few miles in it, sorting out a few issues....mostly egg on my face! Turns out I had a leaking trans cooler line, right over top of the passenger end of the rack...so that was an fairly easy fix, except that I had already ordered a new rack, and didn't notice until I had removed the old one. Ouch! Lol. AC is charged now, and I can freeze my wife in the tiny little cab. It has a bit of an exhaust drone when I'm just above idle so I may add tailpipes yet. Hopefully that might eliminate the drone. Here's a couple of pictures out in the wild.

Attachments

• 20210614_141842.jpg
    20210614_141842.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 20210530_140005.jpg
    20210530_140005.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 44
I am glad I am not the only one who has these kind of problems haha. [cl[cl[cl[cl

good on you for laughing about it! beauteeful truck for sure

Thanks guys! Believe it or not, today was the first time on the hoist. What a pain getting the arms underneath, I had to drive the front end up in some ramps just to get it up. The price we pay for looking good I guess....lol. I have 300k on it now, and wanted to double check everything underneath, as well as have another good look at the possibility of tailpipes - it does drone just off idle, so I'd like to do something. I've been reading about guys putting "dead legs" of pipe T'd off the tailpipes as that's supposed to work as well. Anyone have any experience with that? I'm having a hell of a time getting my doors to close decently (new seals), but just read online that some of the early Canadian trucks used a slightly shorter seal, so I ordered them.....tomorrow's job. I hope this works better!

Attachments

• 20210705_153620.jpg
    20210705_153620.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 17
Thanks again everyone. I've been putting a few miles in it, sorting out a few issues....mostly egg on my face! Turns out I had a leaking trans cooler line, right over top of the passenger end of the rack...so that was an fairly easy fix, except that I had already ordered a new rack, and didn't notice until I had removed the old one. Ouch! Lol. AC is charged now, and I can freeze my wife in the tiny little cab. It has a bit of an exhaust drone when I'm just above idle so I may add tailpipes yet. Hopefully that might eliminate the drone. Here's a couple of pictures out in the wild.

Wow, it looks awesome!

I think the tail pipes are the real solution to the drone, the sound vibes are trapped under the truck, that would get it out the back. Another possible cure would be to put in an H pipe or balance pipe between the two pipes ahead of the mufflers.

I think the tail pipes are the real solution to the drone, the sound vibes are trapped under the truck, that would get it out the back. Another possible cure would be to put in an H pipe or balance pipe between the two pipes ahead of the mufflers.

Still, if there's no tailpipe, all the H-pipe does is balance the resonance between the two sides. It doesn't get the exhaust out from under the truck, which will most likely cure the resonance.

So, I've been putting a few K's on the truck and it's really started to settle in. I did have to install a set of Altman bear claws though. We were coming home from a little show down near the lake a couple of weeks ago...hit a pretty decent bump in the road and the passenger door popped open. Scared the crap out of DW, and that's never good. I'm also on my third set of door seals now. I had to give up on the original style rubbers as neither set would allow the doors to close. I used some 14mm x 12mm D style of 3M seal. Much better now.

Attachments

• thumbnail_20210803_101710.jpg
    thumbnail_20210803_101710.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 24
  • thumbnail_20210803_101724.jpg
    thumbnail_20210803_101724.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 23
I tried the original style door seals and had the same result. I went to the D rubber 5 years ago and have had no issues since.
How long did they build the Thrift Master truck and what years or is the '47 the only year for this badge?

I tried the original style door seals and had the same result. I went to the D rubber 5 years ago and have had no issues since.
How long did they build the Thrift Master truck and what years or is the '47 the only year for this badge?

Check out these two links, OI. That badge was 47-48 only. https://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/identification/Advance%20Design/Advance%20Design%20Spotting%20Guide/AD%20Spotter%20Guide.pdf

https://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/identification/Advance%20Design/Advance%20Design%20Spotting%20Guide/

Thanks snopro
That picture page sure helped put what I've been seeing and the questions my customers have asked.
I had one oddball come through that had the gas filler up really close to the passenger side beltline of the cab (around 6" higher than all the rest). GMC cab that came factory that way, haven't seen another since.
You can see it in this pic.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2013-07-11_11-04-36_266.jpg
    2013-07-11_11-04-36_266.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 48
Thanks guys, and Snopro for the info! My understanding is that my truck is an early 48, hence the Thriftmaster hood emblems (which I like better than the later ones).

Latest posts

Back