New Project

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maverickmk

Rebel Rodder
1969 GMC.

P4M2NSQ.jpg

pYNgOQa.jpg

Congrats, mav! [cl

Tell us about it! Straight 6/tree speed? 350/350? What are your plans?

If you don't already know, '73 - '87 front crossmember/suspension is a virtual bolt-in swap, giving you 5 bolt hubs and disc brakes...

I6, three on the tree, complete base model. Bed is shot on the inside. Do not want to do too much. First order of business is to get it safe. Needs brakes top to bottom, a clutch and recover the seat. Runs like a champ.
Doc, thanks for the info. I do want to get discs on the front. So, you're saying I can get spindles from the square bodies to bolt in?
I do not want to do anything to the outside except maybe a new front bumper, maybe some grill pieces. Going to look for some poverty caps and maybe drop it a few inches.

Thanks for the details. Sounds like a good runner once you fix its ills. [cl

So, you're saying I can get spindles from the square bodies to bolt in?

I think not, but I'm relying on memory. [S I believe guys swap the whole issue because the spindles don't swap...

Do a little research on the subject, mav. I'm pretty sure, you can take the entire crossmember and suspension from a square body and swap it into your '69 as a complete assembly. Both assemblies are bolted in and you need to modify a few holes, but otherwise a straight, simple exchange without breaking the bank... except for sourcing the donor and your labour.

If you go that way, I know this for sure... a square body crossmember has bolted engine mounts and the crossmember is drilled twice... so, the mounts can be moved from V8 location to I6 location and vice versa. (I learned that the hard way, heavy cursing involved.)

My favorite model Chevy/ GMC truck! 71 went to 5 lug wheels and front discs, so 71 or 72 spindles should be a bolt on. Can’t beat that 250 I6, except with a 292 I6.:D Probably a 3.08 rear too.
My dream would be a 71-72 Chevy grill with single headlights, chrome bumpers, dark blue with the white top swb stepside, preferably with a 350 / 350 combo, ac, ps and a decent radio.:cool:

I learned to drive a manual trans in a truck like that. Ours was a long bed 71 Chevy, blue and white.

The entire front end (cross member and all) will bolt in. You will need to enlarge a couple holes and drill a couple.
I did this on the 68 I'm building using a 73 square body donor. If the rear end is a leaf spring then it'll bolt in too.
FYI Early Chevy's had coil springs with truck arms and GMC had leaf springs, in the rear.
73 up were all leafs

The entire front end (cross member and all) will bolt in. You will need to enlarge a couple holes and drill a couple.
I did this on the 68 I'm building using a 73 square body donor. If the rear end is a leaf spring then it'll bolt in too.
FYI Early Chevy's had coil springs with truck arms and GMC had leaf springs, in the rear.
73 up were all leafs

I will definitely look into the entire cross member idea. It does have leaf springs with a 12 bolt as well. Thanks for the help guys.
I have a question: can I run power brakes off of the I6? Does it provide enough vacuum?

My favorite model Chevy/ GMC truck! 71 went to 5 lug wheels and front discs, so 71 or 72 spindles should be a bolt on. Can’t beat that 250 I6, except with a 292 I6.:D Probably a 3.08 rear too.
My dream would be a 71-72 Chevy grill with single headlights, chrome bumpers, dark blue with the white top swb stepside, preferably with a 350 / 350 combo, ac, ps and a decent radio.:cool:

I learned to drive a manual trans in a truck like that. Ours was a long bed 71 Chevy, blue and white.

Talk of a Chevy grille in a GMC is just blasphemous! :p;)

71 went to 5 lug wheels and front discs, so 71 or 72 spindles should be a bolt on.

I never thought of that. Good to know! [cl

I have a question: can I run power brakes off of the I6? Does it provide enough vacuum?

Sure. Displacement has little to do with it. As long as the motor is healthy and pulls good vacuum, you're golden!

I once had an '80 GMC with the strangest list of options... short box, Sierra Classic trim and two tone paint... AM radio, I6, tree speed, power brakes and steering, manual windows, manual locks, tiny econo mirrors, vinyl Scottsdale seat. [S

Anyhow, the six was tired so I swapped it and the trans for a 350/350 combo. The booster and brakes didn't know the difference...

Talk of a Chevy grille in a GMC is just blasphemous! :p;)

Naw, I just like the 71-72 Chevy grill better!
Swap the grill and tailgate, pull any emblems off and you couldn’t tell the difference.
Except GMC had rear leafs and Chevy used coils like was said.

I had a 72 GMC 1 ton that had a Chevy front end and fenders on it. It had a granny 4 speed and a Dana 60 rear with duals, it would climb like a mountain goat and haul a load like nobody’s business. I should’ve kept it.....

Naw, I just like the 71-72 Chevy grill better!
Swap the grill and tailgate, pull any emblems off and you couldn’t tell the difference.
Except GMC had rear leafs and Chevy used coils like was said.

I had a 72 GMC 1 ton that had a Chevy front end and fenders on it. It had a granny 4 speed and a Dana 60 rear with duals, it would climb like a mountain goat and haul a load like nobody’s business. I should’ve kept it.....

Chevies are much easier to find is what I'm saying. I usually prefer the GMCs and don't see the point in switching either way, but lots of people do.

I never thought of that. Good to know! [cl

Sure. Displacement has little to do with it. As long as the motor is healthy and pulls good vacuum, you're golden!

I once had an '80 GMC with the strangest list of options... short box, Sierra Classic trim and two tone paint... AM radio, I6, tree speed, power brakes and steering, manual windows, manual locks, tiny econo mirrors, vinyl Scottsdale seat. [S

Anyhow, the six was tired so I swapped it and the trans for a 350/350 combo. The booster and brakes didn't know the difference...

I found a '71 with a 400 BBC (yes, they actually came with that) & turbo 400, complete running truck that is just about rusted to . . . well, you get the idea for $1,000.00. My biggest problem is I need a place to work on it.

I found a '71 with a 400 BBC (yes, they actually came with that) & turbo 400, complete running truck that is just about rusted to . . . well, you get the idea for $1,000.00. My biggest problem is I need a place to work on it.

It's a bit of a commute but I could move some stuff around and make room for ya. :D:D

If you leave today, you could be at Dozer's by the weekend. :rolleyes:

I never understood why they called it a 400, especially when they released the small block 400 the same year. [S It's a 396 bored .030 over for 402"... furthermore, Chevy put 402s in some full size cars and labelled them Turbo-Jet 400.

Regardless, I'd be happy to get my grubby hands on the big block/auto/spindle/brake donor. Good luck whatever you do!

If you leave today, you could be at Dozer's by the weekend. :rolleyes:

I never understood why they called it a 400, especially when they released the small block 400 the same year. [S It's a 396 bored .030 over for 402"... furthermore, Chevy put 402s in some full size cars and labelled them Turbo-Jet 400.

Regardless, I'd be happy to get my grubby hands on the big block/auto/spindle/brake donor. Good luck whatever you do!

The Chevelles & Camaros with "396's" were actually 402's.
I'll load up tonight and be there with everything this weekend ;) Wait for me, don't leave until I get there.

Where's smallfoot? He should have some room for me to hold all this crap.

The Chevelles & Camaros with "396's" were actually 402's.
I'll load up tonight and be there with everything this weekend ;) Wait for me, don't leave until I get there.

Where's smallfoot? He should have some room for me to hold all this crap.

Right. I guess SS402 was too difficult to comprehend. :rolleyes:

Where is smallfoot? Is he close to you?

Latest posts

Back