yeah this jumped on my trailer..

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfg455

The Hot Rod Cop
I found this 54 chevy about an hour away. Guy has had it for 14 years. It was a running driving 6cyl coupe that he took the roof off, added C4 vette suspension and a 350/th700r4 combo. Then he lost interest. The wife was on him to clean the yard so I got it. All of the nose sheet metal is in it as well as all of the trim, grille and a convertible top frame. The windshield frame is chopped 3". All for just $800.

You THIEF !!! You take that right back and give him more money! :D

That thing is already awesome, and will only get better! Nice catch.

jfg, there's one less real gem out there, now. You've got it. Good for you! [cl[cl
If you get to work quickly on it and post lots of pictures of your progress, we'll all be entertained and informed. :D:D

and it has a clean Mass title to boot. Not that we need them up here in NH but if'n I were to flip it....[cl

soo...I sold the suspension and wheels off of it yesterday. Not that I don't like vette stuff but it was not installed well at all and the sale covered the cost of the rest of it plus a bit. I do have several rear ends to choose from and am trying to decide on a 70's camaro front clip or just calling summit for a straight axle... I'll have to mock it up to see if it will look right as a gasser convertible...[P

Nice find, jfg455. Is the body as good as it looks in the pic?

Where does this one fit in your build lineup?

Last edited:
and it has a clean Mass title to boot. Not that we need them up here in NH but if'n I were to flip it....[cl

soo...I sold the suspension and wheels off of it yesterday. Not that I don't like vette stuff but it was not installed well at all and the sale covered the cost of the rest of it plus a bit. I do have several rear ends to choose from and am trying to decide on a 70's camaro front clip or just calling summit for a straight axle... I'll have to mock it up to see if it will look right as a gasser convertible...[P

Don't go Camaro, it's too wide. Try 80's Malibu?

I wasn't crazy about the wheels, but I would have kept the Corvette underpinnings. But since you made money on the deal ,I guess all is good. What about Jag IFS? Chevy wheel bolt pattern, and goes in with 4 bolts. Maybe even swap in the Jag IRS, and have a super smooth ride.

Nice find, jfg455. Is the body as good as it looks in the pic? Where does this one fit in your build lineup?

It isn't bad. There is some sauce in it like in the rear panel under the trunk. The floor pans and frame are all in good shape. They did knock out the section over the rear axle to fit the suspension in but the piece is still sitting in the trunk. It is just one of the ones sitting in the wings like the 29 Essex coupe, my 72 CJ5 or any of my 35 ford PU cabs / trucks. My 50 GMC is first followed by getting the Datsun running

Don't go Camaro, it's too wide. Try 80's Malibu?

I haven't measured anything yet but I was curious to see 2" spacers behind the wheels with C4 vette running gear. I thought about S10 and just widening it to fit as well (same spindle A arms etc as 80's Malibu just narrower)

I wasn't crazy about the wheels, but I would have kept the Corvette underpinnings. But since you made money on the deal ,I guess all is good. What about Jag IFS? Chevy wheel bolt pattern, and goes in with 4 bolts. Maybe even swap in the Jag IRS, and have a super smooth ride.

Some reason Jag stuff is expensive up here. [S I'm sure I can come up with something. I'll just have to wait until it jumps on the trailer and says "I need to go under the 54!" lol

Some reason Jag stuff is expensive up here. [S I'm sure I can come up with something. I'll just have to wait until it jumps on the trailer and says "I need to go under the 54!" lol

I figured you might buy a rusted out, clapped out Jag pretty cheap, pull what you need and scrap the rest. I have thought about doing it myself, could have bought a running, driving 80's Jag a while back for $800.

I haven't measured anything yet but I was curious to see 2" spacers behind the wheels with C4 vette running gear. I thought about S10 and just widening it to fit as well (same spindle A arms etc as 80's Malibu just narrower)

If you do go with the narrower clip you can just run wider wheels with a smaller backspace like I did, but I'm partial to that look and it's not for everyone.

If you do go with the narrower clip you can just run wider wheels with a smaller backspace like I did, but I'm partial to that look and it's not for everyone.

I'm a big fan of having a lip or deeper dish wheel. Most wheels now a days have no lip and look like dung in my opinion...:D

Latest posts

Back