weld -- sheilding gas..

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

23crate

ok guys...

here in NZ,, we have to pay for shielding gas for our welders. fair enough ..

but we also cop a bottle rental charged monthly..

one supplier charges about $18 (nzd) per month for a smaller size ..

personally I prefer an argon co2 mix for mig work.. but ok using CO2 on its own..

recently I picked up an old CO2 fire extinguisher.. had it tested filled and the correct valve for a mig regulator, for $150 .. ready to go ...

for less than 10 months rent . I got a cylinder I only pay get filled ( $35 a fill )

great saving .. better spend on coupe parts

not sure how that's works in the US ??

crate

Same as Don, I just exchange and pay for the gas.

Why the rental charge? Is there law not allowing individuals to own bottles or something?

I own all 12 of my bottles, if I didn't the rent would eat me up. Colorado is pretty good about bottles. When I lived in Oklahoma, they watched the ownership of bottles like they were cars.

interesting , even variances over you way ...

in the last decade or so the market has opened up a little over here.

we can buy a small co2 (empty for around $250) bottle price goes up with size.

argon and others are becoming more and more available.

I worked for a gas supplier who claimed the rent was labelled as maintenance of the cylinder pool .

im thinking that nearly $20 a month for a 6kg co2 bottle rent .. then multiple cylinders is huge outgoing even a few bucks a month ...

Our go to supplier (who is the most working man friendly) charges a flat $150 "lease" fee, but after that you just pay roughly $20 for a big bottle of 75/25 and he just takes the empty and gives you a full.

I utilize a company called $50 for any amount of refills that I just purchase the gas. I think the charge is for valve inspection on the bottle. I wish that done.

I use C25. My bottle rent was a one time charge. Around $200 for a Q size and I can get it all back if I ever turn the bottle in, less money than owning it. I do own both sets of torch bottles and have moved around a fair bit with those.
Small town midwest is hard to find a place to get your own filled like the fire ext. thing.

Latest posts

Back